How do you clean a face like this?

liz_s

Songster
May 16, 2010
Washington State
Hi,

This is my first time uploading a picture, so forgive me if it doesn't work...

57743_img_0905.jpg

Anyway, this is my chicken, Pickles. She has, as you may be able to see, a seriously dirty face. I have another white chicken who is relatively clean-faced, but I think Pickles is the most avid forager of the group. I'm hoping that when the snow comes she will be able to clean her face a bit, but until then, should I do it? And if so, do I try to put her in the tub, or wrangle her and use a warm washcloth? Mainly it's an aesthetics thing, although it does look a little uncomfortable for her. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

one of my girls had a weird ear thing - ? infections, so I put neosporin ointment in/around her ears, which she then smeared all over her face. the sticky gooeyness attracted all kinds of mud/dirt and she was really a mess. I tried to clean her up with a wash cloth with a little dawn detergent, and rinsed her and dried her well; but she hated that and it didn't do a very good job. eventually, it seemed to just get cleaner looking on it's own.

Oh no! Gooey neosporin doesn't sound fun!
big_smile.png
I kind of figured it would get better eventually, but with our wet fall it's only gotten worse. As far as I know at least she doesn't have any creatures living in there yet...
wink.png
When you rinsed her, was it outside?

I have two white EE's who have dirty beards and cheeks daily.
lau.gif
When Sweet Cheeks eats her mash in the morning, she comes and wipes her bill and face on my shirt! The sex links often can be seen preening her beard...it is a hoot...she stands very still (terrified of the sex links) and the sex links are paired up working on the mash in her beard. Watermelon turns it red...pumpkin makes it orange. I have given up hope of her having a beautiful clean face.
th.gif

Well, perhaps when visitors ask what's on her face I'll just pretend she's a special breed! She's the top hen, so the other's don't clean her face often, but when they do, I have to agree, it's hilarious. It's all sweet and nice until someone pulls too hard! She definitely would have the nicest beard of the bunch if it weren't for how dirty it is! Thanks for the story!

My guess if you cleaned her up, she'd be right back out there in the mud and dirt. And washing her would probably stress her out a bit. I'd leave her to her fun in the dirt.

Quote:
lau.gif
How cute is that!
My chickens actually like baths. The wilder ones all act like I'm trying to kill them till their legs hit the warm water, then they just go limp and happy till I have to kick them out of the tub! Anyway, your girl is darling.

I looked at your post and saw my future!
lau.gif
hide.gif
I have two totally white EE's w/ really nice beards, they are very young now (Monday they will be 8 wks) mine seem to stay dirty most of the time. Haven't tried bathing them, maybe when it warms up, but probably not, unless it becomes a health issue.

I have a splash EE who got tangled with one of those fly strips that coil - she lost a few feathers and the gooey stuff from the strip was stuck to her feathers for a while - messy...

Here's Meringue

60407_11-1-10_002.jpg

cleanly.....carol

Wow- Meringue is a beauty! Kassaundra, my other white girl stays perfectly clean- here's a picture of the Pickles (closest to the camera) when she was clean:

57743_img_0784.jpg

Swimmer- you're probably right. Oh well! Cackleberrycoop- I would love to see a chicken in a tub
smile.png

Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom