How do you clean a face like this?

Why do the white ones always seem to get into the most dirt? My BRs, my BO, and my Blue & Black Marans all stay super clean... But my Splash Marans? Constantly covered in dirt, getting poo on their feet feathers, etc. Drives me nuts!

How do you clean a face like this?

Pressure washer works good, just watch out for their eyes..
tongue.png
wink.png

My hens always look very clean.. until they are given some yogurt. They sure get messy eating that stuff..
smile.png

I've only tried washing up my girls (or cleaning their legs for mites) in nice warm weather. I'm always afraid of getting them wet when it's cold. But when I think about it. They run around in the rain when it's 40 out and don't seem to mind it too much. Silly birds.

Too funny! Once again, BYC takes the cake! I have two Bantam Leghorns who have always been white as white on rice! One of them is a wicked food hound, though, and ended up with a blob of very yellow mustard on her shoulder one day. I thought I could get away with eating a sandwich outside. She was plaguing me so badly that I had to move my Dagwood out of her reach quickly or she would have taken half of it - this bird is the size of a medium pigeon, mind you! Anyhow, big blob of mustard on her shoulder as a result of me trying to protect my lunch. Then she was really mad because she couldn't reach the mustard on her shoulder. I thought the other chickens might try pecking at the colorful & tasty spot, but the little hellion is way too mean to tolerate anyone in her air space. I thought she was a mess then, but you should've seen her after the first dirt bath!

I saw "chicken shampoo" for sale on a hatchery website - you know, probably for show birds. Contemplated sending of for some, but then thought through washing this particular bird. And blow drying her. Not for the faint of heart. So she still looks like she's been rolled for her cash in a dark alley; in reality, she would be the one to do any "rolling"! And I've continued wondering if her deeply soiled feathers might be harmful to her in some way. So, I really appreciate the conversation on dirty birds! Thank you!

7&8 :

Too funny! Once again, BYC takes the cake! I have two Bantam Leghorns who have always been white as white on rice! One of them is a wicked food hound, though, and ended up with a blob of very yellow mustard on her shoulder one day. I thought I could get away with eating a sandwich outside. She was plaguing me so badly that I had to move my Dagwood out of her reach quickly or she would have taken half of it - this bird is the size of a medium pigeon, mind you! Anyhow, big blob of mustard on her shoulder as a result of me trying to protect my lunch. Then she was really mad because she couldn't reach the mustard on her shoulder. I thought the other chickens might try pecking at the colorful & tasty spot, but the little hellion is way too mean to tolerate anyone in her air space. I thought she was a mess then, but you should've seen her after the first dirt bath!

I saw "chicken shampoo" for sale on a hatchery website - you know, probably for show birds. Contemplated sending of for some, but then thought through washing this particular bird. And blow drying her. Not for the faint of heart. So she still looks like she's been rolled for her cash in a dark alley; in reality, she would be the one to do any "rolling"! And I've continued wondering if her deeply soiled feathers might be harmful to her in some way. So, I really appreciate the conversation on dirty birds! Thank you!

yuckyuck.gif

The dirty face doesn't seem to bother her, luckily! 7&8 when my girls took their first dirt bath I couldn't believe that they would ever get clean! But, to my astonishment they did. Of course, one of their tactics for getting the dirt off is to jump on my lap and ruffle their feathers- I'm the one who ends up dirty.
wink.png
It does amaze me that they don't mind being in the rain when it's chilly. The only thing they really mind is the wind. I think I just have to come to terms with the fact that I do not understand these silly chickens. This being my first winter, I am so worried that they will get too cold, but from reading other posts in the forums, I don't think that they will. It seriously blows my mind!

On a different note, my girls are molting only their muffs. Has anyone with bearded ladies had the same experience? I've been giving them cooked oatmeal, which makes a bit of a mess, but I don't think the loss of feathers on their faces is related to that, since there are pinfeathers coming in. I think they're too young for their first molt, but again, I have no idea! Any thoughts?

Thanks everybody for posting on this stuff, it's so helpful. BYC is the best thing that could ever be discovered by a first-time chicken owner!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom