How do you clean an incubator?

Lisa16

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
I've got an incubator that doesn't seem to get clean enough. How do I properly sanitize my incubator? No matter what I try, it still has that "smell." Any advice?

I wash mine with warm water and spray with a very dilute bleach solution, then let air dry in the sun...
big_smile.png

Hmm. Some people wipe their's down with those clorox wipes.

Then some, like myself just take it out and clean it with anti-bacterial soap,

and the hose. The Anti-bacterial soap always seems to get the smell out of

mine.
smile.png
Good luck!

~Scissor

I have one of the antique big redwood ones and I just take mine out and clean the parts at the end of hatching season. I avoid bleach on the wood. I also vacuum mine out often. If you have a plastic, metal or Styrofoam one, I'd recommend bleach. Can't hurt it but I'd also let it dry out for awhile before using it again.

I don't know the smell you are referring to but if it is a bad egg smell, then bleach is the best answer as you are smelling bacteria. Never good for other eggs to have to fight bacteria...

Hope this helps.

Dave

For the parts that can be soaked I like to soak them in hot, soapy water to which I've added a tablespoon of bleach. Then scrub with a soft, long bristled brush.

For those things that can't be soaked I wipe thoroughly with warm water to which I've added a bit of bleach. Typically about two tablespoons to the gallon.

Once everything is as clean as I can get it I put some of the bleach water solution in a bowl then set it inside the incubator and close it up then run it for a few hours. This usually gets rid of any odors. After that I remove the water, close it back up again, then run it for a few hours to thoroughly dry the insides.

I was wondering what I could use to clean my Genesis styrofoam bator this season, as it has been used a few years now and was starting to look pretty cruddy. No amount bleach was really helping it LOOK clean. Well, I am also a home brewer, and while cleaning my kegs I got a brilliant idea. I cleaned the styrofoam, the plastic water tray and the wire floor with PBW (professional brewers wash) and it worked excellent!! Got it cleaner than I have ever gotten it using bleach. Then, I sanitized it with star-san, but for that bleach would work just as good. HTH! You can do a search for PBW, they call it professional brewers wash and also powdered brewers wash - it is sold by Five Star and available from most homebrew suppliers. Good stuff! Environmental and septic friendly.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom