How do you clean and store your eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2DogsCoop, Jun 9, 2011.

1. 2DogsCoop

2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Please let me know what you do with your eggs after collecting? Do you wash them or not, store in fridge or not, etc. Thanks.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

There is no NEED to do anything. That said, we have picky customers. Hey, they pay the money, the customers is always right. so.....

Wash. Yes, I simply rub them under the hottest water I can stand. No chemicals or agents.
    Paper towel them, which "polishes" them or at least makes them nice, dry and presentable.
    Large into Large cartons, Jumbos into jumbo cartons and right into the fridge.

Our customers are regulars, so they aren't in the fridge for more than a day or two.

3. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I always wash mine, I just run them under warm water and rub them with my hand. I store them on the counter unless we won't be using them in a few days, then I put them in the fridge. I have heard that washing them can cut down on salmonella problems, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    never wash mine unless they are poopy which they hardly ever are. Then we just leave them in a basket on the counter and eat um! IF I am selling them I keep them in the fridge. If you don't wash the bloom off they last A LOT longer too [​IMG]

5. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I store mine in the refrig and run them under cold water right before I use them.

6. 2DogsCoop

2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    So washing them when collected is bad? I am assuming that the bloom is there natural protective cover! Our eggs are never here for more than a week, we give most of them away to friends and family throughout the week. Once we get more chickens we may start to sell them to families that live on our street. If we do start to sell them is anything special we need to do to protect ourselves? Thanks for the replies we are learning more every day.

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I never wash them. Just put them right in a carton, then in the fridge. Extra dirty ones go in my 'cull' carton, those get fed to the chickens generally unless I have a need to wash and use them immediately. The only exception is if I am giving eggs away, I might wash those RIGHT before they get them or just rub any spots with a damp towel. They last a LOT longer unwashed and mine are almost 100% clean unless someone lays one in the run.

8. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    I heard washing them is bad so we just wipe ours off with a dry cloth.

9. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    washing is bad, it clears away the protective coating and allows germs/bacteria in. washing eggs can actually INCREASE the risk of salmonella.

I rub with a dry towel to get the dust off and then put em in the fridge. I used to keep them in the basement, but the kids knocked a couple dozen into the floor so I don't do that anymore. My grandmother always kept hers room temp in a big bowl in the kitchen. If a hen went broody, she would just grab a few of those eggs, mark them and shove them under the hen.

http://smallfarm.about.com/od/farmanimals/a/How-To-Clean-Eggs.htm

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  10. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I wish I could say the same...but I have some "rebel" teens that like to sleep in the nest boxes [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by