How do you clean your eggs after gathering and before refridgeration?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Fruit, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Whats your preferred method for ensuring salmonella free eggs?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    don't do anything...I figure the bacteria are more afraid of what they might catch from me! [​IMG]

3. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    lol

4. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I really dont do anything. If their realy dirty (which isnt often) I wipe em with a washcloth.

5. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    cooking them! okay, okay, just kidding....

i've read many debates here on byc about this very topic, and the consensus seems to be - people do all sorts of things and it all works! after reading all of the pros and cons of washing vs. not washing, WE decided to just plop 'em in the fridge and only wash them right before using if they're really gross (sometimes i wonder WHAT they stepped in right before hopping into the nest box and stepping all over someone else's eggs...). they have a naturally antibacterial "bloom" to them that you wash off with the application of water, allowing the penetration of the shell by bacteria. so. unless an egg is particularly grody when i bring it in (in which case i just wipe/rub lightly with a very BARELY damp paper towel) i don't do anything!

[​IMG]

6. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    I just wash my eggs off with water and keep them in the fridge.

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    My dirty eggs, I just wash with cool water. Thats it.

8. texaschick-a-dee

texaschick-a-dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Texas coast
    All of our eggs get washed before they go into the fridge or get cooked. I don't like the thought of putting them in there and possibly contaminating my other foods.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't use older or pooey eggs for things that won't get thoroughly cooked (runny scrambled eggs, mayonnaise, etc).

Anything that gets fully cooked isn't going to give you salmonella [​IMG]

Really, your eggs are probably less germy than storeboughten ones, assuming your chickens live in hygeinic conditions and you keep your nest box filler clean. i wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

10. I wash all my eggs with Dawn dish detergent and warm water, let dry them put in fridge. marrie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by