how do you come up with prices?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by klf73, Nov 1, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I am in dire need of downsizing. I need to sell young(not yet laying) pairs and trios. I have a brn-red ameraucana pair(Blehm lines), La Fleche(pair or trio, not sure yet), Appenzeller Spitzhauben(pair or trio). I will know better what I have soon when I really get to examine what I have. My question is how do you come up with prices? I can't afford to just give them away, I would like to cover some of their expenses. Any ideas, suggestions, or strategies you use to price your chicks/chickens would be appreciated. I do not ship, so these will be priced for pick-up only. thank you in advance

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I look at the local market. If they are just regular ol birds, I sell them for about what others sell their birds for. If they are show types, then increase the amount by however you think they are worth and see if they sell. If they don't sell, keep trying and lowering a bit at a time.

Every local market is different, so in one place you can sell a point of lay bird for 25, and another for barely 5. Most places, roosters aren't worth much and are harder to rid of.

3. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree it depends on what your market will bare. We sold our rooster for 25 dollars but he was at a show and placed...pretty boy helps also. I went on a trip over my b-day and purchased a hen and rooster one SLW one buff pair paid $20 for each pair but they are almost grown and are show quality(actually took them to a show and place very high). Took my Roosters and a pair of white bantys, I did not need any longer for breeding to the Annual Amish sale. They sold for nearly nothing not because they did not look good or were not good quality but because that was what the market would bare. I wish I had sold them at the show when we sold our other rooster(second thoughts always bite) because there I would have gotten a better price. So find out what your market price around you is and try that avenue first. Look on the craig list for your area and your local penny/trade papers, plus local papers. If you have a feed mill or farmers co-op you usually can put up fliers of what you have for sale. You never know someone may have asked for chickens for Christmas.

4. hollybird

hollybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    lebanon
    being flexible will help you sell. if you have a few packages or options you will get more questions. some will want a trio or starter set but some folks won't consider a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by