1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you control flies

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by brooster, Jun 26, 2007.

1. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    How in the heck do i control flies? as soon as i put up a fly strip it is covered with flies. I really need help.

2. joanna

joanna Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2007
    I use the milk jug traps, mine is almost full and I've had to add water twice. It is gross to see the maggots crawling around eating their own, but it is wonderful to see all the DEAD flies!

3. chickonaroost

chickonaroost Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Most farm stores sell great products for fly control. Some are insecticide free and are just like giant sticky traps. Others attract and kill the flies, much like the Jap beetle traps you see everywhere.

4. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
  5. tink

tink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    I had the same questions and I was told to get DE. I am attaching a post by someone else with info on it. Good luck tink
    The Diatomaceous Earth we use with chickens is only food grade DE. It must say "Food Chemical Codex Grade" or it is unsuitable to use. Sometimes it's almost impossible to find and people will try to sell you the stuff that's sold at Lowe's and places like that, but they dont have it. It looks like fine pure white flour, not gray, or it is not food grade. I put it in feed to keep bugs out, sprinkle it around the coop, especially under the roost to kill fly eggs and other bugs. I dust the chickens with it and put it in the run to dry up poop and help keep smells down. A place called Custom Milling has dealers around the United States, mostly in the East, I think. Here's their site and the dealer locator:
    http://www.custommilling.com/index.php? … ;Itemid=27

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:What's a milk jug trap??!!

7. joanna

joanna Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2007
    Here's the first link I could find when I googled it, but I buy mine at my local feed store. One of the good things is that the tops are re-usable, so I buy a couple every couple of years and buy more attractant and just cap the milk jugs when it's full.

http://www.kyhorse.com/store/pest/milkjugtrap.htm

8. Royal Oaks Ranch

Royal Oaks Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    Northern Calif
    Muscovies eat flies [​IMG] If you have enough you wont hardly find any flies [​IMG] Lets just say I have enough muscovies LOL... My horses love it.. I havent had to use fly traps out in the barn in so long its unreal [​IMG] AND they eat skeeters too, which is great to help prevent west nile virus [​IMG]

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
  10. biretta

biretta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2007
    I had posted a similar question recently and someone suggested Sweet PDZ. I did some research and it sounds promising. It's a mineral that absorbs and neuturalizes odors, not unlike lime but supposedly a lot safer and can be used liberally. It is marketed for use in horse stalls mostly. I'm getting a 50# bag at the local feed store for only $15.00. Worth a try.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by