How do you cook your pot roast?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by luvchicks8, Sep 15, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I always cook mine in a bag in the oven but I feel like trying somthing else today. So how do you cook a pot roast:)

2. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    On top of the stove with water.... Keep water in it and cover. (onions)

3. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
  4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    In the crock pot with cream of mushroom soup mixed with french onion soup (powdered). About an hour before its done, I'll add the veggies.

ETA - just as shown above! Easy and tastes great!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  5. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Dust lightly w/flour & season with Cavendar's Greek seasoning, brown in a pan & put into the crockpot with veggies (onion, carrots, celery, potatoes). Mix together about a cup of beef broth, worchestershire sauce, dash of hot sauce (I like Trappey's Red Devil), & about a tablespoon of catsup. Pour that into the pan & scrape up any bits of roast left in there, than add that to the crockpot. Cook on low 8-9 hours.

6. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Wow these are awsome now which do I choose hmmmm

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

With Carrots, 'taters, onions, and turnips in covered roasting pain. Brown the roast first on top the stove. Add veggies. Sprinkle all of it with a capfull of Mrs.Dash Original. Roast in the oven at 250* for 4hours. It will fall a part and the gravy is AWESOME!!

8. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    In the crock pot with 3/4 glass of water and 1 package of onion soup mix.Cook on low all day .When I get home I add a brown gravy mix and let it make a gravy.
    meanwhile I make the sides to go with it Or add a drained jar of carrots and a jar of canned Potatoes.Let it heat through and serve.

9. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Cast iron dutch oven on top of stove. Salt and pepper roast and brown in olive oil. Put whatever spices you prefer on, 1/2 cup Dr. Pepper for tenderizing, lipton onion soup mix,worchestershire, ketchup, a tad of A-1, 2 cups of water. Cook for about an hour. In a skillet sautee sweet onion in olive oil with garlic until caramelized. add to roast with other diced up veggies ( taters, carrot, celery, etc...) Continue to cook on slow simmer for another hour or so. Uncover and cook down until gravy thickens. You can add a slurry of corn starch to speed this process if in a hurry.

This is excellent! Enjoy!

10. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have a recipe for the microwave (yes: I said MICROWAVE!) that I got years ago from a nurse I worked with.
    Sounds odd, but it works - must be something in the oven bag...

Anyhow:
    Dust the inside of a large oven bag with flour (or use a package of dry onion soup mix)
    Put roast & vegetables (I like carrots, onions, celery & new potatoes) inside the bag & add 1/2 cup ketchup thinned with 1/2 cup water. You can also use Kitchen Bouquet and/or soy sauce thinned with water.
    Tie bag shut & poke 3 or 4 slits in the bag to let steam escape

Microwave on High for 30 minutes (I swear it does NOT come out like shoeleather!)
    Test for doneness by poking with a fork through the bag - add time, 5 minutes at a time - until done to your taste

You can turn the bag over 1/2 way through but some of the juices will run out & you'll have to wash the pan [​IMG]
    OR
    You can just smoosh things around (wearing an oven mitt) inside the bag

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by