How do you "Create" a new breed of chicken?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cpprpnny19, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Cpprpnny19

Cpprpnny19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Middleboro
    Been in rabbits many years so know how to do rabbits [​IMG]

How do you do it for chickens?

Lynne

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Develop a goal for yourself, a standard (colors, type, egg color, weight, other characteristics) and get yourself to the point where it is truly unique and breeds true. After you have developed something that breeds true and has a desirable purpose, it must have a following of breeders who also have been working with it for at least 5 years. At that point there must be a certain number of exhibitors and birds matching the proposed standard well enough to get it accepted to the APA.

But in the mean time, before all that, basically go for a goal of a breed you'd really like. What is it for, what does it weigh, how does it excel to others who's purpose it shares, what does it look like?

3. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    X2. Illia said most of all there.

You probably already guessed that you need to cross breeds, or change breeds. Also, certain genetic quirks (like Blue gene, and Flittering gene) never breed true, and are excepted as they are.

4. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Also, you may want to check around first, to make sure "your idea" isn't already being produced or even APA approved! A bit of research could save you a lot of time and money! [​IMG]

5. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    You had better learn some chicken genetics before you start. You will need to know the genetics behind each trait you desire to be found in the breed. Chickens genetics are far more complicated than mammal genetics.

It will take many years to develop a new breed from scratch. I would think 12-15 years would be appropriate. Not try to discourage you- just letting you know the facts. Others may disagree but it takes time to get a sustainable population of birds that have a homogeneous genotype that will produce a specific standard.

Tim

6. Hi! What is the flittering gene?
    Thanks,

Lisa

7. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Lisa, the flittering gene is an incompletely recessive gene, that is written like this: ap. It specifically intensifies gold groundcolor (or restores it in silvers) and effects the stipling of a hen.

8. Thank you! That is something *else* new to me.
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by