How do you cull a chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grullablue, Feb 11, 2009.

1. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Not a very nice topic, but since it's brought up on my other post (my chick just died) I thought I'd start a topic on it, for others to learn as well as myself.

What methods do you use to cull a chick if they are suffering?

I maybe could have ended my chick's suffering a few hours earlier if I had asked this question sooner.

I know it's not a pleasant topic, and it's not a topic that's easy for me to talk about either....but I guess it's best to do what's in the best interest of the chick.

Angie

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    grab by legs, hit head on hard object. humane in my book since they pretty much feel nothing (if anything it happens fast enough they wouldn't feel it long) and works.. better then inhaling fumes until i pass out of freezing for a hour i say.

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Some people use a sharp pair of scissors to remove the head (similar to an axe for an adult chicken). You could use a hand axe, also.

4. Poultrydude

Poultrydude New Egg

Feb 11, 2009
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Hi,

The way I cull day old chicks is to place it in my right hand and then with my left hand using 2 fingers put it round the birds neck and pull, it automaticly kills the bird straight way.

With my growers, pol and old birds, the best way Ive known how to do it is to get a Kown and cut the top bit off, then place bird into kown, thats stops the bird flapping its wings and going mad, then the head will come out through the kown, then cut the birds throat which then will bleed and drain into a bucket. once drained depossed the bird or you know pluck it, gut it etc.

Hope that helps.

Regards
    Craig [​IMG]

5. gervais22

gervais22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    Hi I know this is a bad topic.

But like other people said before the fastest way is to snap the spinal cord at the neck (dies instantly, no pain) so anyway you do be nice.

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
  7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I posted how I do it with starter fliud on your other thread.

8. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:I agree 100% to sever the spinal cord is instant. the other methods I have heard are not.

Steve in NC

9. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

We lay them on a 2x4 and use a silly sharp knife to remove there head.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by