How do you cull a pullet??

julie02

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 13, 2010
I have a dying eight week welsummer. She is refusing to eat and has suffered from a prolapes vent. I've tried everything from Prep H to yogart etc. It's now time to let her go. She is unable to walk today. I'm so sad and scared. Please help and give me any advice on how to end her life.

very sorry to hear, there are a lot of ways, if you search the board you will find a way that suits you both. I have had my DH shoot one once, he was right on target (head) and it was quick. I will warn you that they do run around like a ...... sorry again, good luck

try searching for euthanasia...lots comes up

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your predicament. As someone on here said, what's easiest for them is hardest for us. Some lay the bird on the ground or a stump, put a broomstick just behind the head and hold down with one foot, then pull up sharply and firmly on the feet, snapping the neck. Others use a hatchet. I have used starter fluid / ether to bring them to unconsciousness, then added more to be a lethal dose (after she was unconscious, I put her into a container with a tight fitting lid and added more ether to the rag until I knew she wouldn't survive). Some put them in the freezer, but I can't bring myself to do that if I think there's even a ghost of a chance that they are still conscious, because I know what it is to feel extreme cold, and it is not pleasant. Whatever method you choose, I hope you take some small comfort in knowing you were brave enough to do what was best for her, and not what is easiest for us.
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
I'm so sorry, I hope you know that you are doing the right thing!! Like others have said, do a search on euthanasia, and find what you are most comfortable with... Feeling comfortable... that's even harder... BUT yu are doing the right thing for her!!!
hugs.gif

You can use ether or the fastest way...an axe. Just remove the head. Sounds cruel I know but it is over quickly and relatively painless.

I am so sorry about your girl.

Back
Top Bottom