How do you deal with the chicken haters?

My dad's wife thinks they are filthy disgusting creatures and is not hesitant to say so. I don't have any issue with her opinion, she has the right to dislike them, and it keeps her from visiting us which was NEVER a joy even before the chickens.

Smile and tell her that you like chickens.
smile.png

Sorry to hear she hurt your feelings.
sad.png

My mom is the opposite. When I got back into chickens two years ago.. I started with eight old laying hens past their prime. My mom would drive down and take any eggs I had in the fridge. She kept telling me to get more chickens.

..So last spring I bought 33 chicks. 13 pullets and 20 meat chickens. I get a dozen eggs a day and she still drives down and takes every egg I have in the fridge. It's a 160 mile drive too! It was all I could do to keep some of the processed meat chickens for myself. What my mom doesn't eat, she gives to her friends and now they all want more eggs. "Get more chickens." she said.

I'm expecting 100 chicks next week. 75 ISA Browns and 25 cornishX. I really didn't want this many chickens but I can hardly say 'no' to my 77 year old mom who is my chicken enabler.
big_smile.png

I have to build a new coop and run now. Over the summer we'll be adding a 24'x 30' extension to our pole building as a more permanent chicken raising area. I also bought a new refrigerator so I'll have some place to put all the eggs when they start coming. This = $$$$ in chicken expenses that I don't see recouping anytime soon. But my mom will be happy. And that means something to me.
cool.png

Tell her that at least the chickens give you something positive in return for letting them live with you.
he.gif

Sorry, I don't have a good relationship with my mom so I probably shouldn't comment on a thread like this! Go pet your sweet girls and try to ignore the crabby old woman (that could be either me or your mom! lol)

Tell her she can just eat the no taste, medication filled, 6 mo. old eggs from the store from now on! lol

My advice would be to just ignore her.

My Dad is kind of the same way. I talked to him on the phone last night and made the mistake of saying that I have eggs in the incubator. Oh boy....I got a lecture.
roll.png
I need to get rid of all chickens and sell my horses according to him.
somad.gif
He said I just dont make enough money for these "silly and ridiculous things." My reply.....Thanks for he info Dad I will take it into consideration.
rant.gif

Quote:
Did you tell her that's the pot calling the kettle black?
gig.gif

Sorry, I'm in one of my moods tonight. I'll behave.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom