How do you deal with the chicken haters?

TinyLittleFarm

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Wisconsin
We have 6 new chicks this year to add to our flock of 11. My mom just said to me, "So what's with your obsession with chickens lately? Why don't you at least breed dogs so you can make some money on them?"

I didn't even know what to say. I did have a few choice words flying through my head, though.
rant.gif
somad.gif
tongue.gif

It's fine when people jokingly call me the crazy chicken lady, but my mother has said more than one thing that is almost hostile.
smack.gif

I breed dogs you don't make money on them either..lol
My Moms not a animal person she just doesn't get it. Its alright I just put the dogs up and keep her out of the coop.. but she just loves the fresh eggs...lol

Well it's your mom so you have to tread carefully but......

I basically tell people (like my SDs that dislike chickens) that the day they start paying for the bills on this farm, they can start telling me why, what, and how many. After all, I'm not going to them for a handout to buy chicken feed. Unlike my SD that's always asking us to pay for the dog food for the dogs she insists on having but can't afford to feed.

If that doesn't shut them up, I tell em to stick it where the sun don't shine.
smile.png

Last edited:
Ignore her. I know it's hard, cuz my mom doesn't see a single thing I do as "the right thing"....but there is nothing you can say that will change a closed mind.
Just live your life in a way that makes you happy. And enjoy the eggs that she is paying top dollar for at the market and not getting anything near the same freshness or quality.

I would just ignore it.

Some of us tend to be more sensitive sometimes with our parents. They feel they are allowed to say things because they are our parents.
It doesn't matter. Just tell her you love them and they are a hobbie. I think maybe you are more concerned about her telling you that you should be making money.

Quote:
Tell MOM to mind her own business,mother or not ,your hobbies and interests, are yours, not your mothers, my mom is the same way, it has to be her way or no way, ,So be firm yet respectful and just tell her, it works!!!

Back
Top Bottom