How do you deal with the shipped eggs?

I have done both - let them sit and not let them sit for at least 24 hours. In my opinion letting them sit did help. I got one shipment that was packed great, but post office had most of the air cells loose, and a few were detached. I only lost 3 out of 27 eggs - 2 did not develop at all, and 1 quit around day 6. We'll see how they do at lock down and hatch. But, I'd say that letting them rest definitely increased my chances of a good hatch since most of the air cells reattached. I will say that with loose or detached air cells they certainly seem to lose moisture more quickly. I am compensating for that with increased humidity in the incubator since I noticed it around day 10. Have my fingers crossed!
fl.gif

You know, a 50% hatch rate is pretty good for shipped eggs. You can't control the post office or how the eggs are handled in transit, but you CAN ask sellers how they pack their eggs, before you buy them. One packing method that seems to work very well is lots of bubble wrap around each egg, and all packed into a small box, then put the small box inside a bigger box, with lots of cushioning material such as straw around it. If your potential seller doesn't pack their eggs very carefully, it would probably be best to give him/her a miss.

You could help your eggs' chances by buying them at a time of year when the weather is cool but not too cold.
And maybe by buying them from a state that is as close by as possible and also not too hot or too cold.

According to my recent experience on shipped hatching eggs, I found the bird from shipped eggs were weaker than the eggs picked up locally. Many of the birds I hatched died in the last day, even they had pecked hotles on the shell. I have a batch of quails coming out today, so I watched them very carefully. If the bird pecked and did not come out in two hours, I will give them a little help. And I also find that a part of eggs developing very slow than others. They look not mature on the due day.

Quote:
Yes, always ask the seller how they pack eggs for shipping. I pack my eggs how I would like them packed if I were purchasing them. I wrap each egg several times in bubblewrap and then nestle them in a bunch of shredded paper and then put the shredded paper on the top of the eggs then seal the box.

Only once so far. Got eggs from AR. and I am in KY. Got 12 eggs, 10 developed and 8 hatched. Let them sit for maybe 3 hours before I put them in the incubator.. Guess I am lucky huh?
smile.png

Its definantly a risk but especially here in Canada its one of the easier ways to get the rare-er breeds. I've had anywhere from 100% to nothing from shipped eggs

I had some really bad hatches from shipped eggs when I first started,but I'm sure most of it was my fault (for ordering in cold weather) as well as the PO (for the handling itself as well as letting them sit on my porch or out by my gate in the cold....I have started having better luck for the most part.I have had some repeat shipments from Bargain on here,and Cathy Peters(?). I've had pretty good results compared to other shipments from BYCers as well as Ebayers.I have load in the hatcher right now from Nancy(bargain),Cathy,and a person I previously ordered my GCM eggs from.So far I can hear a small flock in there. I also had some eggs that I ordered from Ebay.They were supposed to be from SQ stock.They arrived packed in a beatup paper carton filled with shavings that were molded and funky smelling from busted eggs. Absolutely NONE of the eggs looked like Buff Orpington eggs. None were brown,at best a creamy color. And none were even close to the size of my SILKIE eggs.My hubby looked at them and said what kinda eggs are those.I said Buffs and he said silkies? Nope...BO...He said aint none of them gonna hatch. Guess what....On candling before setting for lockdown I pulled...ALL of them out but 3 and I think those were late quitters,just couldnt tell.I put them back in so we'll see. They were due to hatch tomorrow.I put them next to the eggs I received from Nancy and Cathy the day before....NO COMPARISON. beautiful dark(light brown not chocolate) eggs.pretty uniform in size and color.All were from Buff and Black Orps and Barred Rocks. I definately think the seller and their care of their flock has lots to do with it,but more so on the USPS...

Back
Top Bottom