How do you deal with the shipped eggs?

yook2000

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
New Haven County
I orders three batches eggs in these two months. The hatching rate are 20%, 30%, 50%. Some people said they just left the eggs sitting for 24 hours after they received the eggs, then put in the incubator? Can anybody tell me what is the point of doing this? I also hatched some eggs picked up locally, and got 100% hatching rate. So I think the faulth might be from the shipment. As I don't find the local breeder of the eggs I want, so I have to buy the eggs online. Can anybody tell me your succeful experience in hatching the shipping eggs? I know we cannot do anything to change the USPS service. While you may help me know how to choose the seller online and how to deal with the shipped eggs before putting them in the incubator? Thank you.e

Last edited:
Hubby just bought eggs online! He bought 10+ eggs, received 21, 3 were broke....waited 24 hours and incubated the 18 that were good. Candled today and all but 6 have busted air cells!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!
barnie.gif

I told him I didn't think it was a good idea to buy shipped eggs!!!!

I had the same problem multiple times then someone had told me to let them sit for 3-4 daysafter unpacking and then put them in the bator and I ended up with a 80% hatch

Quote:
Sitting 3-4 days? Since it usually 2-3 days to receive the eggs. If sitting for 3-4 days, and plus 1-2 days of the seller to collect the eggs. The eggs have been around a week old. Missing the best time to hatch or not?

In my opinion, it's a waste of money.

I do not buy shipped eggs, and never will. I collect

my own eggs, or buy them locally. Shipped eggs

get VERY shook up, and often come out to have

deformed, or detached air sacs. Letting them set

24 hours before incubating is just to let them settle.

Get to room temp. before shoving them in an 100F

'oven' (Incubator)
tongue.png
Buy locally.

Good luck!

I had a 60% with shipped eggs from coast to coast. I let them sit 1 day, put them in the incubator with no turning till day 3. I also kept the humidity low 25-30% at the most. At lockdown the humidity went up. I only lost 5/38 once it hit lockdown. Some were infertile, blood spot, or stopped developing by day 18. I hatched in a HovaBator 1588.
I just set 25 BLRW shipped from Iowa. We will see if I can do it again.
fl.gif

It is harder to hatch shipped eggs because of all the variables, but it's worth it, that's how we get the really neat breeds!
big_smile.png

I've done probably 8-10 hatches in the last few months... almost all shipped eggs...

My first hatch of shipped eggs I got 13 out of 15 to hatch, not a single busted air cell or anything... it all depends on the packing method, praying USPS is good to your package and that it arrives quickly...

It's a matter of chance, like gambling or playing the lotto.
smile.png

I recently bought eggs off of ebay and i got 7 out of 11... 2 were infertile and 1 stopped developing Just purchased more shipped eggs from breeders on BYC I really think ...this is just my humble opinion from my personal exp....it really depends on the breeder and how the eggs are packed to ship.
jumpy.gif

Purchasing shipped eggs is a gamble.
If you weigh the potential risk with the potential reward and are willing to accept it, it can be a fun way to expand your poultry horizons.

I have received at least a couple hundred eggs through the mail so far and the funny thing that I have experienced is that I have had better luck with the eggs that have travelled the most miles.
hu.gif

Doesn't make much sense.
Carolyn

Back
Top Bottom