How do you deal with your addiction?

I am the husband- set her limit- then she takes me places and we end up with more.

I just keep collecting free stuff to use on building the next coop or for expansion.

Quote:
This guy had a bunch of mixed birds in a dog kennel. I checked them for mites, scaly legs, bright eyes, no signs of nasal disharge, no cough, clean bums and they have the sweetest personalities! My guy was selling in a dog kennel off the back of his pick-up dear god I hope it wasn't him
barnie.gif

I'm sure my Ameraucana is a mix, but she's meant as a pet not a show bird. The other cross is also a pet and just plain cute! Not sure about the PeepsInc spot. Wish I had the chance to have met you! I'm originally from Delmar.

chickensducks&agoose~
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
That is great!!!

I only have 7 right now and that is all of the room we have. But I keep seeing all of the 4h signs popping up now and I know once spring comes around
fl.gif
there will some chicks coming in our feed stores. As of right now I have a plan in my head if we move the garden, the camper shed, and boat around then extend our runs then we can always have more. Oh and hubby said if they are little chicks bantams then I can always get more.
celebrate.gif
And hubby added that no more live chicks he wants to only get eggs and let the chickens hatch them.

So I guess, dealing with your addiction is pretty hard. But hey if you can afford them and they won't be sleeping on top of each other why not.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
This guy had a bunch of mixed birds in a dog kennel. I checked them for mites, scaly legs, bright eyes, no signs of nasal disharge, no cough, clean bums and they have the sweetest personalities! My guy was selling in a dog kennel off the back of his pick-up dear god I hope it wasn't him
barnie.gif

I'm sure my Ameraucana is a mix, but she's meant as a pet not a show bird. The other cross is also a pet and just plain cute! Not sure about the PeepsInc spot. Wish I had the chance to have met you! I'm originally from Delmar.

LOL, you might not have met me, but you probably saw me, I was the one on crutches
lau.gif
I sprained my foot on saturday, and boy was I
somad.gif
when I did it. My first chicken meet, and I WAS NOT MISSING IT darnit. My family thought I was insane, as I was supposed to stay off the foot. Well then when I got home, my son left the yard gate open and I had to spend 3 hours chasin chickens! My foot looked like a slab of meat with sausages by last night. And I don't care, I'd do it again
lau.gif

Anyways, back to the guy. If you consider buyers parking as the beginning of the line, he was closer to the end. The ones I looked at were missing feathers on the neck, had runny eyes, mucus stings on the mouth, and were bobbing their heds. I was so ticked this guy would bring visibly sick birds to sell. AND then when I told him they were sick, he said, no, they just are chilly! Umm, my chickens are out in the cold (I mean, we ARE in upstate NY, it gets cold here), and they have never looked like that. OH yeah, if this helps, he was selling wooden crates. Does that sound like the guy you bought yours from?

Quote:
I DID see you lol... and thought "oh man that sucks"
hmm.png
and no that is NOT the guy I bought from. All of my guys birds looked very healthy. Had a nice sheen and were extremely friendly from being hand raised.
thumbsup.gif
Yay! and I always quarantine anyway so it's not a problem, but it still makes me feel better to know that wasn't the guy, and yah what a creep for selling sick birds! Not like showing up to an event and putting a bunch of peoples flocks at risk.

So have I mentioned I bid on a bator on ebay this morning
duc.gif

I originally planned to get 3 chicks but ended up with 8 because I couldn't resist the pretty different-colored day-olds at the feed store. I live on a small 1/10 acre lot in a very urban setting, so the size of my backyard really limits me. When I see how much the girls enjoy their space, having enough space, I feel protective of them having plenty of space and that motivates me not to crowd them with additional chickens. I suppose that if I lived on a farm on 20 acres, I'd have a harder time not buying more and more chicks...and goats, geese, ducks...

i deal with my addiction by giving in to it?? and also having a very understanding and helpful bf (help building coops/pens etc). i will have to do a quick count to get an approx # as i have no idea.....lets see...what do i have at the moment...

~22 layers w/ 1 roo
~53 bantams (5 months+)
- 16 chicks
=91
big_smile.png

I also live on 5 acres in the country so many many roos are no problem, and i breed the bantams for nice purebred stock. started with the layers (3 breeds) and a pair of bantam sebrights early this spring...now i have 5 bantam breeds (with doubles of 2 breeds, different color varietys) in 5 pens atm, just about done 3 more pens, and that should be it! im out of materials (got lots of materials from family, wood, fencing etc, didnt have to buy a whole lot)!
deffinatly didnt plan for this many, but i kept going to swaps (to SELL no less) and coming home with more each time, i have another one this weekend and am ONLY supposed to sell!! (my one exception is if i sell some and have $ and there are any bantam pullet/hens in breeds i already have, that would be OK)

Last edited:
Well the first step for me, was admitting that I have an addiction
lol.png
I live on 3/4 of an acre in an urban/suburban setting and space is what limits me. I currently have 10 standards, 5 banties in a brooder (dh will build a seperate area for them) and I'm getting some additional next Spring
hide.gif

I really don't know what I'm going to do come the Spring of 2011, hopefully we'll be moved by then and I can add more
jumpy.gif

Tell me about it, I'm busily looking for a 8-10 acre farm and my DH is exasperated... I say this as we have the roof tore off this house and are doing a total renovation. I remind him that I can live very happily with my chickens! The sad part is I may have found the farm I want about 10 miles down the road....

Back
Top Bottom