How Do You Decide It's Time to Euthanize Pet Chickens?

Sounds like she is slowing down, but for me...normal poop, no crop problems, still lays an egg once in a while - not her time yet.

That said. Only you can really be the one that can gauge how well she is and make that call.
Poppy is still around, still the same. Every evening after it cools down a bit, I bring her into the yard and give her mash, sometimes with egg, sometimes with vitamins. I wormed her and even gave her a course of antibiotics. Poop is still normal. Hasn't laid in a while, but none of my hens have been laying much in this heat.

Idk what's wrong. Very skinny. Mostly empty crop. Lays down a lot. Everything else looks completely normal.

Any ideas?

Poppy is still around, still the same. Every evening after it cools down a bit, I bring her into the yard and give her mash, sometimes with egg, sometimes with vitamins. I wormed her and even gave her a course of antibiotics. Poop is still normal. Hasn't laid in a while, but none of my hens have been laying much in this heat.

Idk what's wrong. Very skinny. Mostly empty crop. Lays down a lot. Everything else looks completely normal.

Any ideas?
If I had to take a wild guess - Some type of reproductive problem. Cancer, Salpingitis, etc. Could be an avian virus like Leukosis. The only way to get answers is if you lose her and have a necropsy.

I put birds down that are in visible pain, whether it's from an injury like getting trampled by a Turkey, & they don't get better with the care you give them. Something that the chicken just can't recover from, like cancer.

Pet chickens I keep, & let die of old age, but will put down if there's something that's not fixable.

at one point all of mine are laying in the wet cool grass today. 100 degrees humidity in the teens. it's still 90 here at 9:00 pm. It has to be the heat
Normally, I'd be inclined to agree, but this started when it was much more temperate. It may just be her time.

I'll finish this last worming treatment and see if anything changes. My gut is telling me it's something bad. Bryony, her daughter, died earlier this month.

Chickens are not much fun right now. I just want things to go back to a nice, quiet normal.

I think it might be time for Poppy. She's just so damn skinny. Like skin and bones. She eats and drinks, but skeletal. I wormed her recently, too.

My hormonal cockerel has been harassing her the last couple of days. I'd separated him for a bit, but he was doing very well when out during foraging time. I separated him again tonight. I wonder if that's part if it - stress.

I am just sick with worry. And I'm headed out of town this weekend to visit my mother. If she's still poorly after worming and being away from the boy, I will have her put down.

I know there are really terrible things happening to folks everywhere, but this is the worst I've felt in a long time. I just want things to go back to normal. I will have lost 5 birds in 4 months after years with no casualties. I really don't know how folks deal with it.

I think it might be time for Poppy. She's just so damn skinny. Like skin and bones. She eats and drinks, but skeletal. I wormed her recently, too.

My hormonal cockerel has been harassing her the last couple of days. I'd separated him for a bit, but he was doing very well when out during foraging time. I separated him again tonight. I wonder if that's part if it - stress.

I am just sick with worry. And I'm headed out of town this weekend to visit my mother. If she's still poorly after worming and being away from the boy, I will have her put down.

I know there are really terrible things happening to folks everywhere, but this is the worst I've felt in a long time. I just want things to go back to normal. I will have lost 5 birds in 4 months after years with no casualties. I really don't know how folks deal with it.
If I have a chicken that is struggling I do the same as you're doing: Cool mash in hot weather and warm mash in cool weather, sometimes w/ egg and vitamins. I'd definitely keep the cockerel separated , too. At this point as long as you make sure she has cool water and food when she needs it, you'll be doing good by her! :hugsI'm so sorry about your Poppy!

Back
Top Bottom