How do you design your runs for your portable coops?

Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
I was thinking of using PVC as the frame for my runs--as it's more flexible and may contour to the ground better than wood....We have barely any flat ground on our 10 acres and I worry about gaps under the runs for my bantams as far as escaping & predators are concerned...I was thinking about making the run detachable so the coop (chicken tractor) would be easily moved.....

Any ideas??? Pics would be even better!

Thanks!

~Heather~

I used 6x10 AKC fencing. I made a 10x20 run. (I say I did it, my DH did it)

18851_chickens101_002.jpg

How big were you thinking?

Make sure your pvc is heavy duty enough. We tried to make a pen out of the lighter stuff- It didn't work at all!

I really wanted a functional, movable pen for the ducks, and eventually the chicks, however we had to rethink and went with wood. Which isn't movable, but very sturdy and has kept out the animals which could eat my stock!

Good luck with your pvc and building!
wink.png

Here's a pic of my small wood run that I built to attach to a my doghouse coop. I made it so that it's removable, and I can move the doghouse and run separately. It works out pretty well for me...

12447_outside.jpg

I used pressure treated but Im sure heavy duty pvc would work.
100_2211.jpg

Ours was heavy enough that we don't need to secure it to the cart, but still light enough we can pick it up and move it. We ripped 2x4's in half longwise to give us 2x2's which are plenty strong enough and dumped a lot of the weight. ....I think we used 4 sticks?? ...so like $15 worth of lumber

Back
Top Bottom