How do you do it? Please advise.

rancher hicks

Free Ranging
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
When I grew up we lived in a big farm house and like many I suspect we weren't taught the how to's of house keeping. My mother used Spic and Span on the tiles she laid down herself. We also used a paste wax. We also had painted floors and wains coating. I don't recall what dish soap we used. I don't remember ever seeing my mother do dishes.

Truth be told she wan't the best house keeper. Like all of us she had her issues. Not the least was raising eight kids by herself and husband who took a hike, but that's another story.

We all have those epiphany moments and one for me was when a neighbor friend said "it's one thing to be poor, it's another to be dirty". I don't think she ever realized the effect it would have on me.

We didn't have Cupboards on the walls but a floor cupboard my mother said my father built. It was painted blue. All the dressers, beds and dinning room furniture were painted. Which may be why I like unpainted wood. I recall my sisters set was painted pink with Poodle decals.

So what's my point? How do you clean your house?

Right now I'm cleaning our cupboards and there is the usual grease. Is it usual? I've cleaned them before with bleach water and baking soda. DW says to use Grease Lightning and while the cupboards over the stove look clean, (see picture) they have a greasy/sticky feel. I've been on the internet and some of the advice there does NOT work.

One video said to use "vegetable oil or mineral oil" Well what a mess that left.

Too the hood over the stove is white but it's not coming clean like when I used the bleach water and baking soda.

So anyhow you might have some advice on how to keep the house clean.

For those who don't know DW had B. Cancer and the residual effects of the treatment have made things difficult. I'm trying pick up the slack.
idunno.gif

So leave your advice and I'll try not to get offended. Besides you're there, what can I do. I can't
smack.gif
lau.gif

Thanks in advance. I'm off to clean some more. I suppose I should be glad the cupboards look clean. How often do you clean your cupboards?

Rancher, just trying to do my best, Hicks.

First, I'm so very sorry your wife and you are dealing with B. cancer. that's tough. That stinks. Second, I can't help you much on the housework. How to make a cold frame or green house, how to can salsa, how to plant a fruit tree, how to shovel manure, I got that stuff covered. Housework? give me a pile of manure instead, PLEASE!!! Surely there's someone here who can give advice on dealing with sticky wood work. I could use some of that advice myself! All I can say, is do your best, and if anyone who visits you has a complaint, hand them a broom, mop or cleaning rag and invite them to show you how it's done. I used to get offended when my Mom came to visit. The minute she walked through my door, she'd grab the broom. Looking back, it was her way of showing love. She was an "acts of service" kind of lover. She'd have lots of fun with my broom now, if she were still alive. Perhaps you can call a cabinet company and see what they recommend for cleaning cabinets.

I try to keep things simple. If I can use the same cleaner for more than one thing I'm good. I cleaned one set of cabinets with the Grease lightning stuff and they're not to bad. I'll do another set tomorrow and keep at it till they're done.

I also don't like clutter so if it doesn't have a use it's history.
wink.png

I think the person who created carpeting should be dug up and shot! TWICE!
rant.gif

Thanks for your kind words. Lord knows this world needs more of them.
hugs.gif

Take care and be well,

Rancher

Do you have kids or grandkids? That's how I would clean it! Bribery:D. I am thankful for my dishwasher & that is the extent of housework around here some days. Cabinets get cleaned out approx 2 times a year. As to the other question on what cleaning chemical to use.......I'd try goo-gone or goof off. Good luck. Hang in there. I'm sure whatever You are doing to help is much appreciated. Just the fact that you are trying.

A strong vinegar solution works pretty well on grease. Hang in. Take your time. The grease can wait until you are up to it, or you can get someone to help you.

Vinegar is a good multi-use cleaner - but it takes more time and scrubbing on some stuff than some people are willing to spend. It works in the bathroom on the tile and in the sink. I use it to clean the outside of my toilet also. the vinegar smell disappears fairly quickly. It will deodorize cat urine on carpet and hardwood flooring. It cuts grease in the kitchen, and when your drain in the kitchen sink gets slow and stinky, spoon some baking soda into the drain and pour in some vinegar; stand back and watch the foaming action! It really shines up stainless steel sinks also. Add to the rinse cycle of your clothes washer - I fill the fabric softener cup in my front load washer - and it will help to deodorize your clothes and soften them. We have extremely hard water and it helps to remove the yellowing we get from all the iron.

For the stove top and hood, and other really greasy places I use 409 spray cleaner. It gets off most of the cooked on stains on my stovetop.

As for carpeting: I am so glad that this "new to us" house still has the original hardwood floors, it was built in 1935. With two dogs and two cats, sweeping is an everyday chore; one that I tend to do only once a week - but I am trying to do better. I sweep with a broom and dustpan - that gets the big dust bunnies that are running rampant; then I pull out my electric sweeper to pick up the smaller pieces and finally, I use a Swiffer-style dry mop to pick up the dust particles (I use a micro-fiber rag on it that I toss in the washer, not the single-use, toss after 1/2 way through the house sheets that they want you to buy).

Vinegar is a good multi-use cleaner - but it takes more time and scrubbing on some stuff than some people are willing to spend. It works in the bathroom on the tile and in the sink. I use it to clean the outside of my toilet also. the vinegar smell disappears fairly quickly. It will deodorize cat urine on carpet and hardwood flooring. It cuts grease in the kitchen, and when your drain in the kitchen sink gets slow and stinky, spoon some baking soda into the drain and pour in some vinegar; stand back and watch the foaming action! It really shines up stainless steel sinks also. Add to the rinse cycle of your clothes washer - I fill the fabric softener cup in my front load washer - and it will help to deodorize your clothes and soften them. We have extremely hard water and it helps to remove the yellowing we get from all the iron.

For the stove top and hood, and other really greasy places I use 409 spray cleaner. It gets off most of the cooked on stains on my stovetop.

As for carpeting: I am so glad that this "new to us" house still has the original hardwood floors, it was built in 1935. With two dogs and two cats, sweeping is an everyday chore; one that I tend to do only once a week - but I am trying to do better. I sweep with a broom and dustpan - that gets the big dust bunnies that are running rampant; then I pull out my electric sweeper to pick up the smaller pieces and finally, I use a Swiffer-style dry mop to pick up the dust particles (I use a micro-fiber rag on it that I toss in the washer, not the single-use, toss after 1/2 way through the house sheets that they want you to buy).
Good to know about the vinegar with hard water, iron deposits. That describes my situation to a T! I'll trot a jug of white vinegar down to the laundry room. What strength do you use for general purpose cleaning with vinegar?

We ripped our carpeting out of the bedroom to help me with my allergies. It has helped tremendously. Put down laminate at the beginning of the summer. Now, the only carpeting in my house is the 2 spare bedrooms. (Grands are there about 3 nights/week) and the stairs to front door of my raised ranch. I use a dust mop. Super quick to trot through the house and chase all the dust, sand and dog hair into a big pile. THEN!!! One of the most useful purchases I've made in the last 2 years is a long handled dust pan!!!! No more bending over for me to get that pile into the trash! I think I'm gonna start dumping it out at the edge of my lawn to further create the impression with local wild life that there is a huge vicious dog living here that will rip their heads off if they venture into my yard.

Sorry for the hi-jack of this thread, RH. Would you like us to start an other? I'd like to see a thread dealing with "easier ways to manage house hold tasks.

Last edited:

This reminds me of the apartment I used to have when I was single. I thought the tile was clean but then I noticed some areas that were lighter. I realized it was covered with scum and spend the evening scrubbing with a tooth brush. For a guy that's a big deal. Can't remember what I used with that tooth brush.

Good to know about the vinegar with hard water, iron deposits. That describes my situation to a T! I'll trot a jug of white vinegar down to the laundry room. What strength do you use for general purpose cleaning with vinegar?

We ripped our carpeting out of the bedroom to help me with my allergies. It has helped tremendously. Put down laminate at the beginning of the summer. Now, the only carpeting in my house is the 2 spare bedrooms. (Grands are there about 3 nights/week) and the stairs to front door of my raised ranch. I use a dust mop. Super quick to trot through the house and chase all the dust, sand and dog hair into a big pile. THEN!!! One of the most useful purchases I've made in the last 2 years is a long handled dust pan!!!! No more bending over for me to get that pile into the trash! I think I'm gonna start dumping it out at the edge of my lawn to further create the impression with local wild life that there is a huge vicious dog living here that will rip their heads off if they venture into my yard.

Sorry for the hi-jack of this thread, RH. Would you like us to start an other? I'd like to see a thread dealing with "easier ways to manage house hold tasks.
I would love to get our carpeting ripped out. it would make things so much easier. We're just afraid of what's under it.

Laminate flooring is fairly easy to install. Once you get on a roll, it's easy to complete a room in a day. Fairly inexpensive also, and lots of color options.

We're not sure what is under this carpeting. There is an add on to the livingroom. Lots of remodelers use carpeting because it hides a multitude of sins.

Back
Top Bottom