1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you feed a chicken yogurt?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LuvinMyPeeps, Oct 20, 2008.

1. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    Okay, I guess because I'm asking this question you'll be able to tell I'm pretty much a newbie to chickens :) How do you feed a chicken yogurt and what kind? Should you feed it to chicks, or only older chickens? My pullets are about 22 weeks (I'm still waiting for eggs...grrrrrrr) [​IMG] but want to give them some treats. Do I buy the plain or fruit yogurt? Does it matter? I'd like it to be tasty for them, and I hate plain yogurt, so perhaps they would too? hee hee.

Thanks for always being there for me, all the wonderful folks at BYC! :aww

~ Karen

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Plain for sure - the fruit ones have sugar and junk. baby chicks or adults can have it no problems.

just put it in a bowl or a couple of bowls and stand WAY back! [​IMG]

3. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Put it in a bowl and run away as fast as you can!!!! [​IMG]

4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    You'll find that it's so much fun to feed yogurt that you'll be making it soon. If you make it yourself, you can add fruit without the sugar. I usually put down two bowls on opposite sides of the run, so everyone can get a little. You'll be amazed at how they clean the bowl. I swear they have little silicon spatulas tucked away under their feathers.

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Mine have never liked it plain but they do like it a bit when I cut fresh fruit up and mix in. They really like cherries mixed in.
    JJ

6. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Mine love all kinds of yogurt and yes RUN FOREST!LOL

7. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Quote:Mmm cherries. Mine like blueberries. I'll bet both those fruits have one thing in common-- freaky poo! The first time I gave them blueberries, I thought I had major disease outbreak. [​IMG]

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    it took mine a little while to try it, they were unsure about it but now they come running when they see that bowl. They are polite about it but everyones waddles are covered. I sprinkled a little cracked corn in it the first time to get them to try it.

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I thought I read somewhere that Chickens cannot taste? I think! Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I read that [​IMG] Anyway, I agree with everyone. If you can, throw it over the fence and than run! [​IMG] [​IMG] J/k about throwing it over but DO get outta there fast [​IMG]

10. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Mine ate it for the first time this weekend. I placed about 2-3 tablespoons of plain yougart in a pie plate and a little bread crumbs and seasoned it with a little green grass (my chickens are about 6-8 weeks old) I layed it in the run. They wouldn't touch it, then they started to try and steal the grass out of the dish, I walked away thinking another snack they wont eat. When I went back about 30 min later it was all gone so they must have really enjoyed it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by