How do you feed your flock?

I was going to do a poll, but there are so many options…please leave a comment answering the following:

1. How old are the members of your flock(s) & what does it (do they) consist of?

2. What feed do they get?

3. How often do you fill/refill the container(s)?

4. What feed container(s) do you use?

5. What do they get besides regular feed? (Scraps, treats, feel free to be as specific as possible).

6. Does your method of feeding change in the winter months, if so, how?

7. Anything else you’d like to add.
We use PVC that It's 4" around. Usually you have to fill them usually once every 2-3 weeks. We have 4 of these containers that are about 4' high. We have 10 chickens. this is a very nice way to do this. I hope this helps out

I was going to do a poll, but there are so many options…please leave a comment answering the following:

1. How old are the members of your flock(s) & what does it (do they) consist of?

5. What do they get besides regular feed? (Scraps, treats, feel free to be as specific as possible).

my girls are 1 cochin, 9 years old. 1 gold sex link, 8 years old, 2 black sex links, 8 years old, 1 ameracauna, 8 years old, 3 Easter eggers, 5 years old, 2 cuckoo marans, 5 years old, and 1 barred rock, 5 years old. They are fed commercial feed 24/7, 20% protein. Brand changes often because of availability issues but always crumbles. They àre also fed wet mash daily, with mixed greens, apples, blueberries, scrambled eggs and crushed eggshells, topped with a thyme vinaigrette and mealworms. I bring this fresh food to them daily, topping off the diy hanging feeder my husband made while I'm there. They then go outside for all the bugs and grass they can find until evening, making sure they've ripped apart my compost pile properly before retiring for the night. When they are molting, I add a little game bird feed to their mash to up the protein a bit. And when it's winter I rush the food out to them while it's still warm.

my girls are 1 cochin, 9 years old. 1 gold sex link, 8 years old, 2 black sex links, 8 years old, 1 ameracauna, 8 years old, 3 Easter eggers, 5 years old, 2 cuckoo marans, 5 years old, and 1 barred rock, 5 years old. They are fed commercial feed 24/7, 20% protein. Brand changes often because of availability issues but always crumbles. They àre also fed wet mash daily, with mixed greens, apples, blueberries, scrambled eggs and crushed eggshells, topped with a thyme vinaigrette and mealworms. I bring this fresh food to them daily, topping off the diy hanging feeder my husband made while I'm there. They then go outside for all the bugs and grass they can find until evening, making sure they've ripped apart my compost pile properly before retiring for the night. When they are molting, I add a little game bird feed to their mash to up the protein a bit. And when it's winter I rush the food out to them while it's still warm.
Wow, you have nice old ages there! Are your 8-9 year olds still laying eggs?

1. My flock consists of one roo and six hens, all under a year old.

2. Kalmbach Feeds 20% protein flock maker. Not my first choice, I was very happy with Purina but TSC is unreliable and the smaller feed stores only carry medicated starter and layer. So far Kalmbach is ok but if I find another source for Purina I’ll switch back.

3. Whenever it’s near empty, I’m not sure as I haven’t tracked it. Sometimes I wait longer than others.

4.. No waste feeder, not a five gallon bucket

5. Whatever they forage in the yard. I do toss them some dehydrated bugs/insects from time to time. I also give them a raw egg sometimes. So far they’re not into greens much but in my experience that changes some when they get older. I also provide wet mash from time to time, particularly in the hot months.

6. Not much. The wet mash will be warm and I’ll introduce more greens that way this winter.

7. Nothing else to add.

Chickens:
2- 27 month old hens
2- 17 month old hens
2- 7 month old pullets
2- 14 week old pullets
1- 14 week old cockerel
Kalmbach Non GMO 20% flock raiser crumbles
Once a week. Every evening after work they get a pie tin of wet mash
Rent a coop port feeders, 1 holds 5lbs and the other holds 10lbs
Occasionally garden scraps, or veggie ends and whatnot from cooking. I don't give any leftovers from dinner
The only thing that changes is the temperature of the water I use for their mash, lol

I have 25 chickens ranging in age from 4 years to 5 months.
I feed kalmbach henhouse reserve and scratch.
I fill them in the morning, and sometimes have to give a little extra in the evening because they empty them.
I use the metal troughs
5. What do they get besides regular feed? (Scraps, treats, feel free to be as specific as possible). Lots of grass clippings and occasionally apples, bananas, and tomatoes. Oh and of course meal worms

I don’t change much, but sometimes add warm water to their pellets to make a warm porridge in the morning. They love it!

1. We range from about 28 weeks to 3 weeks.
2. Everyone 15 weeks+ is on layers pellets, everyone under 15 weeks is on growers pellets and the babies are on chick crumb.
3. Chicks every 2 days they are savage. Growers every 4-5 days and layers 2 weeks or so.
4. A chick feeder, growers have a standard poultry feeder and layers have two tall fat pipes they feed from.
5. In the UK we are not allowed to feed kitchen scraps but they get garden scraps like broccoli leaves, extra cucumbers and squash. We do feed them back their egg shells too.
6. This is our first year but we have no plans to change our feed.
7. Nothing to add.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom