How do you feed...???

sniper338

Songster
9 Years
Dec 15, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Your oyster shell to your quail so the have enough and can eat it when they need it???

Ive tried all I can think of that I can put together here around the house... they end up finding some way to scratch it out everywhere and waste it each time with what ive tried.... I got a few very soft eggs now and want to keep it available.... adding it to their food dish doesnt seem like they get enough... any ideas to keep them from scratching it out with their beak or feet??

Post pics if you can!

If their cage has wire big enough to poke their heads out you can hang a little bird cup outside the cage, it'll keep their feet out. I use cuttlebone in my quail pen, but I don't have many quail. They do eat it rather quickly.

Raise the dish if possible so that they have to crane their necks just a little bit to get at it. I keep mine probably 3-4" high. It stops most of the food waste. If they have to reach for it they wont do that beak toss scatter they love so much.

Your oyster shell to your quail so the have enough and can eat it when they need it???

Ive tried all I can think of that I can put together here around the house... they end up finding some way to scratch it out everywhere and waste it each time with what ive tried.... I got a few very soft eggs now and want to keep it available.... adding it to their food dish doesnt seem like they get enough... any ideas to keep them from scratching it out with their beak or feet??

Post pics if you can!
You could put the oyster shell in a feeder that has an optional metal bracket you mount to the side of the cage to keep it at beak height so they won't scratch the contents out. The angle of the feeder port makes it difficult for them to fling the food out. It comes in different feeder port sizes. I'd use the Small or Medium for oyster shell. The photo shows the Large port (the white plastic). IM me if you want to try one. It's a new product for us that we are currently testing.

Back
Top Bottom