How do you figure out the grade of your chicken eggs?

CherriesBrood

Chicken Photographer
8 Years
Feb 5, 2015
Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to grade eggs properly, we have 14 hens, and they give us good eggs, but we clean them with warm water, before I got them we bought store bought eggs and they said on there cartons "Grade AA" and I'm assuming that's the quality of the egg, but how do you know what simbles to use for the right type of eggs?

Yes I have been to an egg class on how to sell eggs and what requirements you need to have, but that was 2 years ago so it's been a bit for me and I want to get some refreshers. I only have 1 Customer right now, but i might have 3 more (not sure).

Thanks for your time, hope to get some help.
1f60a.png

DesiredFarm18

There are actually two grades that the USDA look at when judging the eggs, exterior and interior,

In interior you take a candler.

AA's have A's have

-1/8 inch or less in depth in the air cell -3/16 inch or less in depth in the air cell
- Clear firm egg whites -Whites are normally reasonably clear
-Yoksl Outline slightly defined - Yolk's outline may be fairly well designed
-No blood or meat spots -Still no Blood or meat spots

B's have Inedible
-More than 3/16 inch of an Aircell - Air cells, yolks, and whites does not apply
- Whites are Clear but may be weak and watery - Blood or meat spots more than 1/8 of a diameter
-Outline of yolk is clearly visible
-Blood/meat spots no more than 1/8 of an inch in diameter

This is how the USDA does theirs, you can try exterior quality but it doesn't make sense if each egg is different and you broke all the eggs you were going to sell. I found this in the National 4-H Poultry Judging handbook from Nebraska state

Last edited:
Just curious, where are you that you need to grade your eggs? Are you selling from the farm, or to a store or restaurant? I just sell my eggs as eggs so I've never run across this.

There are actually two grades that the USDA look at when judging the eggs, exterior and interior,

In interior you take a candler.

AA's have A's have

-1/8 inch or less in depth in the air cell -3/16 inch or less in depth in the air cell
- Clear firm egg whites -Whites are normally reasonably clear
-Yoksl Outline slightly defined - Yolk's outline may be fairly well designed
-No blood or meat spots -Still no Blood or meat spots

B's have Inedible
-More than 3/16 inch of an Aircell - Air cells, yolks, and whites does not apply
- Whites are Clear but may be weak and watery - Blood or meat spots more than 1/8 of a diameter
-Outline of yolk is clearly visible
-Blood/meat spots no more than 1/8 of an inch in diameter

This is how the USDA does theirs, you can try exterior quality but it doesn't make sense if each egg is different and you broke all the eggs you were going to sell. I found this in the National 4-H Poultry Judging handbook from Nebraska state

As far as I am aware you are no longer allowed to sell grade B eggs for retail human consumption. They can only be sold to breaker plants who pack them in say 5 gallon buckets for institutional buyers and commercial bakeries.

Thank you twistedfeather that's all I need. :)

Donrae-

I'm currently selling my eggs to 1 person that's a neighbor, I'm only trying to learn these things because she has been telling people about my eggs and now 3 others want to try them, I'm probably only going to take on 2 of them though, because I don't have enough chickens for them all and I don't want to take on more. I'm selling farm eggs.

chickengorgeto- Yes I know, my eggs are actually grade AA I just learned, thanks for your help tho. :)

And thanks for everyone else's help. :)

I need help. I am trying to figure out why the yolks of my eggs flatten out a bit and the albumin is kind of runny. I store them on the counter and do not wash until I use them. I have only been raising chickens for a year and noticed the difference compared to store bought eggs (that I haven't bought in a while). I was feeding them organic food up until about 2 months ago then I switched, but the eggs are still the same. What am I doing wrong?

Ok, I answered my own question. I put todays eggs in the fridge, cracked them tonight and all firm standing yolks and albumin.

Last edited:
I need help. I am trying to figure out why the yolks of my eggs flatten out a bit and the albumin is kind of runny. I store them on the counter and do not wash until I use them. I have only been raising chickens for a year and noticed the difference compared to store bought eggs (that I haven't bought in a while). I was feeding them organic food up until about 2 months ago then I switched, but the eggs are still the same. What am I doing wrong?

Ok, I answered my own question. I put todays eggs in the fridge, cracked them tonight and all firm standing yolks and albumin.

Staler eggs have runny whites or albumin and a yoke that is flatter on top or spreads out more.

Very fresh or grade AA eggs are the opposite. check out the illustration in my first post seen above.

Not every egg in a dozen of grade AA eggs must be grade AA. Google it to learn more.

Staler eggs have runny whites or albumin and a yoke that is flatter on top or spreads out more.

Very fresh or grade AA eggs are the opposite. check out the illustration in my first post seen above.

Not every egg in a dozen of grade AA eggs must be grade AA. Google it to learn more.
I put the egg in the refrigerator as I collected them and it made such a difference. All 3 different eggs from different breeds had firm yolks and whites, such a difference. Thanks for your help.

I'm also needing to learn how to grade my eggs. I want to sell them at my local Farmers' Market in Alabama. The state regulations for selling my eggs require I label several things, including the grade. I was under the impression, though, that it was illegal for a person to label their eggs with USDA gradings such as AA, A and B? I have searched and searched and all I have found is that there are no national regulations for selling my eggs. However, it does state that it is illegal to represent my eggs as graded unless a person certified does the grading. Yet the state of Alabama requires the grade to be labeled on the packaging. I'm so confused. I'd be so grateful if anyone can offer any insight!!

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom