How do you get ducks to mate and lay eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SparksFli, Sep 2, 2013.

1. SparksFli

SparksFli Hatching

Sep 2, 2013
    I have 1 male pekin and 1 female pekin. They lay eggs but how old do they mate mine are 6 months old.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] This question is a first. Most people have problems with their randy drakes overmating the hens. At 6 months he MAY be a little young, but he will get the idea. Access to swimming water facilitates breeding if the ducks are large and somewhat clumsy. You can break one of the eggs and check for the 'bulls eye' that will indicate fertility. Do an forum search on 'bulls eye', and several threads with pictures will appear.

3. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Songster

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My pair just figured it out on their own... private time in the bathtub helped ;)

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

So does that mean you brought them inside put them in the tub lit candles ands put on soft music CQ? [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I hope their efforts were successful

6. YorkieLove

YorkieLove In the Brooder

May 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    SparksFli, most ducks start up by the time they are six months old, so I can see why you would ask. I have also read stories of drakes having a hard time apparently figuring out . . . .uhm . . . what goes where, so to speak.

If you are in the southern hemisphere, it may be several weeks yet before the hormones start revving up. In the northern hemisphere, they may well wait till spring here (several months away for some of us).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by