How do you get ducks to mate and lay eggs

SparksFli

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 2, 2013
I have 1 male pekin and 1 female pekin. They lay eggs but how old do they mate mine are 6 months old.

welcome-byc.gif
This question is a first. Most people have problems with their randy drakes overmating the hens. At 6 months he MAY be a little young, but he will get the idea. Access to swimming water facilitates breeding if the ducks are large and somewhat clumsy. You can break one of the eggs and check for the 'bulls eye' that will indicate fertility. Do an forum search on 'bulls eye', and several threads with pictures will appear.

My pair just figured it out on their own... private time in the bathtub helped ;)

I have 1 male pekin and 1 female pekin. They lay eggs but how old do they mate mine are 6 months old.
SparksFli, most ducks start up by the time they are six months old, so I can see why you would ask. I have also read stories of drakes having a hard time apparently figuring out . . . .uhm . . . what goes where, so to speak.

If you are in the southern hemisphere, it may be several weeks yet before the hormones start revving up. In the northern hemisphere, they may well wait till spring here (several months away for some of us).

Back
Top Bottom