1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you get new hens to lay in your nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HappyFarmLady, May 31, 2011.

1. HappyFarmLady

HappyFarmLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    NE Kansas
    Hi! I am new to chickens. Most of my flock is 8 wks old. A few weeks ago I picked up a 1 1/2 yr old Blue Cochin at a swap. She will only lay under the steps to the coop. Last week I bought a 1yr old Black Copper Maran. She hasn't laid anything for me yet, but she won't spend any time in the nesting boxes either. What do I need to do to get these gals to use the boxes??[​IMG]

2. eggsontoast

eggsontoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    North Atlanta suburbs
    I put a plastic egg in mine. Works mostly but not always. Their nesting box is a covered kitty litter box.

3. Autumnchicken

Autumnchicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2010
    Woodstock, IL
    I put 3 golf balls in my boxes and it works like a charm!

4. dragonchick

dragonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Thanks for the replies and to the OP,I too was wondering how to do this. The egg I got today was laid in the grass even though someone is using the nest box for something. I see the shavings have been depressed like one of them was laying in it. I really would like them to lay in the nest box instead of the grass. Will try the golf ball trick tomorrow.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Golf balls.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. rudimyers

rudimyers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Chesnee, SC
    I'm so glad to read this. Henrietta HAD been laying in a banker's box on the porch. We had a chicken-rabbit hutch then. My husband and I converted a Lowe's resin shed into a chicken coop with the intention of getting more hens. Since, there is no roost yet, we moved the chicken-rabbit hutch into the shed. I also moved the banker's box into the shed. Henrietta has been laying in the coop instead. Of course, some of the time, one of them (I have a rooster named Bob) has stepped on the egg. This morning, I found a stepped on egg in the attached run. Can't wait to try the golf ball idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by