How do you get pullets to use a perch?

roxanne

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Our chickens are about 10 weeks and have been moved from their brooding pen to a temporary coop while my husband is finishing our permanent coop. We have made perches inside the temporary coop. When the chickens are put inside the coop at dusk (because they aren’t going inside on their own yet) they all end up laying in the pine shavings instead of sitting on the perches. How do I get them to perch?

Our chickens are about 10 weeks and have been moved from their brooding pen to a temporary coop while my husband is finishing our permanent coop. We have made perches inside the temporary coop. When the chickens are put inside the coop at dusk (because they aren’t going inside on their own yet) they all end up laying in the pine shavings instead of sitting on the perches. How do I get them to perch?
I had the same problem. When it was time for my chickens to go to sleep for the night, I picked one up and sat her on the perch. Then the next night I went back out and saw she instinctively went back on the perch, the other chickens soon followed. If one starts doing it, the rest will catch on.

I did that last night, but they all ended up in the pine shavings for the night. My husband lowered the perch this evening and I am hoping that level change will make a difference 😉

The height isn't the issue, they just don't understand that that's where they're meant to sleep at night. So you might be doing this for a few days or even a week or two. At some point one of them will "get it" and then the others will follow their example.

Mine are newly transitioned to their permanent coop and the first night they roosted by themselves but now they are just laying cuddled in the pine shavings. I figure they’ll figure it out sooner or later.

If you brood them, add a small perch for them to use. They should start to use it when they start getting feathers and figure out what to do. Some of them "get it" faster than others.

Hubby put a small branch mounted on 2x4 blocks in their brooding pen. Some used it, some didn’t. It’s just another pattern of youngin’s having to be taught and reminded over and over again how and what to do to make their lives safer and easier ... some listen fast and some don’t. I will keep reminding them what to do 😉

Back
Top Bottom