How do you get rid of gnats

smfarman

Crowing
Jun 16, 2016
North of Tampa, FL
I have put 8 pullets in a look no touch double cage, and yesterday I notice them twitching their heads. Upon examination I found a lot of gnats swarming their heads, I put diatomaceous earth on the ground below the cage and around it, but is there anything else I can do to help my pullets get relief?

Mvan42

Crowing
Mar 15, 2019
Garrett County, Maryland
Gnats are a pain in the butt. I wish I could stop them from flying around me when I am out side. I haven’t seen any flying around my chickens. Make sure everything is clean including the water. No soiled feed.

smfarman

Crowing
Jun 16, 2016
North of Tampa, FL
Gnats are a pain in the butt. I wish I could stop them from flying around me when I am out side. I haven’t seen any flying around my chickens. Make sure everything is clean including the water. No soiled feed.
Last night I put the pullets in the run while I scrubbed the cage, feeders and waters down, then about an hour later is when I noticed them twitching.

Mvan42

Crowing
Mar 15, 2019
Garrett County, Maryland
Thank you MVan42, I'll get some fly traps, but do I just put the vinegar in a bowl ?
You can or a empty pop bottle cut in half, put it in the bottom, then turn the top where the lid opening is in the bottom then hang it. Vinegar should hurt chick s but to much may
upload_2019-9-27_6-38-50.gif

Julesstarohio56

Songster
Apr 4, 2019
North Central Ohio
I have something similar to the product in this amazon listing. There are others. I use it in the house with a little vinegar in it. It works unbelievably well. I wonder if you hung it, as low as you dare, if it would do the trick. I leave it outside in the sun to try and kill the fruit flies, but it traps all kinds of other insects, too. I made other types of traps, but this took care of my problem in one day.

Darware Glass Wasp Traps (2-Pack); Wasp Catchers for Garden and Home Use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TTDSMYC/?tag=backy-20

cmom

Hilltop Farm
13 Years
Nov 18, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I don't know if permethrin spray or dust on the birds will work for gnats, but works well for other pests, flies, mites, lice, etc. DE will not do anything. I had a mite infestation and DE was the first thing I tried and didn't work.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom