How do you get water out to your coop?

Pics
Hey, I am remodeling my chicken coop and I thought it would be efficient if I could get water out to the coop. So, I wanted to know how you guys got water out to your coop or what natural methods you use?
I have five 100' hoses to reach the coop. I also reach a stock tank for the horses with it. We disconnect to fill other outdoor chicken and duck pools along the way.
I have a 75 hose that goes to my garden and to my chickens, two birds with one stone lol

I "love" the helper you are holding there! LOL
He visited one evening and was curled up in a nest box. I evicted him and sent him on his way with the warning that this one was all the grace I could muster; the next visit would end with his head and body parting ways. To his credit, I haven't seen him since.

Hey, I am remodeling my chicken coop and I thought it would be efficient if I could get water out to the coop. So, I wanted to know how you guys got water out to your coop or what natural methods you use?
Went to HD bought a roll of blue 1/2” poly and appropriate fittings, ran it from existing hose bibb, exposed along fence line about 50 yds down to the coop, installed a hose bibb there. Only thing negative is have to watch the weather, drain every time it freezes. With the trees and terrain no way to bury a line. I can put up with the winter freezes instead of carrying water. 30 hens will consume bunches of water every day.

I have a lot of coops. We have several spigots around on our property. I tapped off of one and put a water line to the coops with PVC. Each coop has a shut off valve. I do have auto waterers at all of the coops.
IMG_20190302_104317.jpg
IMG_20190302_104435.jpg

This picture was taken years ago and since more coops have been added.
IMG_2919.JPG

Rain barrel all the way!! Even though we only have a small flock, carrying a gallon waterer all the way out to the coop every day (usually splashing it all over myself) was a huge pain (and the coop is a long way from the house), so we got 55-gallon rain barrel last fall and set it up on cement blocks by one corner of the coop. My husband put a gutter and downspout on the coop roof, and voila - water on tap! :-D

It did take a while to fill up, but once it got over half full, it has never even come close to running out. They use about a gallon per day (more in the summer, less in the winter), so even if it didn't rain at all for over a month the barrel would still last a LONG time once it's full! I was worried the water would get too warm from sitting out in the sun during the summer and they wouldn't want to drink it, but it really hasn't.

I do drain part of it out in the winter as I was worried about it freezing and breaking, but last winter it froze solid about 1/3 full before I could drain it out and it was perfectly fine when it thawed. Of course I still have to carry water out when the spigot is frozen, but for at least 9 months of the year, it's totally awesome to have a replenishing water supply right by the coop! It was a very worthwhile investment.

I carry a 1 gallon bucket to refill their waterer, and most of the time I don't need water out to the coop for anything else. I do also have a 100ft garden hose that reaches the coop from the spigot on the house. On very very hot days, I'll take the hose and spray down the ground in the run, so the chickens can cool their feet. That's just about the only time I ever use the hose for anything chicken-related.

Back
Top Bottom