How do you get water out to your coop?

We have a mobile home. The hose is on the opposite side of the house from our coop. I put a split hose onto the spicket and ran one hose under the house. Summer time we just turn the hose on and rinse and fill there dishes. Winter time we use five gallon bucket and fill the heated dog dishes. I really like the gutter and rain barrel idea. Maybe some day I’ll try that. This summer I made a pond with a fifty gallon rubber maid tub for my ducks. It has a pump and snails for the algae. The ducks love it.

I have a 100ft garden hose.
That sounds excessive now that I've seen it in writing. :caf
I don’t consider that excessive! We have a 600 foot driveway and I have a flower garden around our mailbox by the road. Guess how many feet of hose I have? And I have 3 hose reels placed in strategic spots along the driveway so all 600 feet can get connected if I need to water. That’s just for the front.

In the back, for the chickens, I haven’t counted how many feet of hose. But I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more than 200. Half of it is buried in the mud from the house spigot to the chicken area, and then the other half I drag around from coop to coop.

In the winter, I have a garden wagon that fits 12 or so gallon jugs, and I fill those up and pull them to the coops. We have pretty mild winters, so I only disconnect the hose if it’s expected to freeze. If so, I still use the spigot without the hose. But if we get a lot of snow, I have to pull the water jugs on a child’s plastic sled until it melts enough for the garden wagon’s wheels to make it through.

The chook run is against the house, and the outside tap close by. We just fill the chooks' three water containers with the hose. Incidentally, the shed where they sleep is in a covered area, fox proof. But their run isn't - just open wiht a fairly high fence. To get from the run to the coverd part is a small ground height opening in the wire. Foxes don't seem to realise that they have to go through this low door to get to them, i don't need to lock them up. They put themselves to bed, and seem to be quite safe. We've had this arrangement for about ten years, i think, and no fox attacks in the time. Our bedroom window opens at chook run gate, and we hear squarks very occassionally, but i just put my head out the widow and yell (I feel like 'Old Mother Flipper Flopper' from the song, and have saved both ours and the next door chickens twice i think. Virginia

Hey, I am remodeling my chicken coop and I thought it would be efficient if I could get water out to the coop. So, I wanted to know how you guys got water out to your coop or what natural methods you use?
We build a rainwater gravity system. You can see the 2 water totes in the corner that currently supply water to the chickens, rabbits and pigs.

Attachments

• P_20200407_151147.jpg
    P_20200407_151147.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 5
Hey, I am remodeling my chicken coop and I thought it would be efficient if I could get water out to the coop. So, I wanted to know how you guys got water out to your coop or what natural methods you use?
Nothing fancy ~ I use the garden hose.
I go out every other day ( or everyday) depending on how hot it is
and re-fill refresh all of the water containers, (4) total.

Back
Top Bottom