How do you get your chicks and chickens to like you?

I didn't have too close of any ties when I was keeping my granddaughter's chickens for over a year. They were probably close to a year old when I got them but since my daughter has taken them, I bought new chicks this spring. I spent time with them every day while they were in the house (while they were little) and fed them scrambled eggs every evening and I ended up forming a bond with them. Two of the five were really like pets but as time has gone on, another one has gotten a lot friendlier. I fuss over all of them. Have gotten two more girls (not sure of their age but at least a month younger than mine) this summer. They have been very skittish but one has finally come around and the other one still freaks a bit. Seems like if you have a couple that make up with you, it makes up for the ones that don't handle it as well. ;) Good luck with your new batch. I'm sure you'll do well just because you are wanting too!

Thats really neat, I will definitely try that.

After you've bonded over treats, what happens if you ever go in and you don't have treats? Do they still want to hang out with you, or do they only like you when you bring them food? It always annoyed me when we were growing up how my little sister always bribed the animals with food and they loved her, when I was trying to win them over with kindness, grooming, playing and other more social (and more honest, in my eyes, haha) methods, and it seemed so unfair, that I have been forever biased against treats, haha. Those were mostly mammals though. I know chickens aren't dogs/cats/goats/smart mammals that bond socially to humans, but is it possible to bond with a chicken and still be their friend even after you have to cap the treat supply for the day and you just want to hang out?

After you've bonded over treats, what happens if you ever go in and you don't have treats? Do they still want to hang out with you, or do they only like you when you bring them food? It always annoyed me when we were growing up how my little sister always bribed the animals with food and they loved her, when I was trying to win them over with kindness, grooming, playing and other more social (and more honest, in my eyes, haha) methods, and it seemed so unfair, that I have been forever biased against treats, haha. Those were mostly mammals though. I know chickens aren't dogs/cats/goats/smart mammals that bond socially to humans, but is it possible to bond with a chicken and still be their friend even after you have to cap the treat supply for the day and you just want to hang out?
Oh I totally get it. They get programmed to expect it and that could be a little annoying at times but I have gone out without treats and even though they may be expecting it, they don't always get something and they still seem fine. Sometimes I just like to sit out with them and couple of them love jumping on my lap. Just enjoying having more of a relationship with them this time around!

Haha good, thanks for the answers. I don't know how much of a non-food relationship one can have with a chicken. After a childhood of perpetually begging cats, for example, I'm really enjoying my treat-free cat right now, who gets fed on a schedule, and the rest of the time, if she comes to me, I know it's cuz she loves me and not because she's begging, haha. I did have one very close relationship with a chicken once, though. My sister and I raised him from a baby and he was our BFF, food or not, for real, because he saw us as siblings. I miss that. I'll try to spend lots of time with my new chickens when I get them next year, and hope I won't be just food to them, haha.

Chickens love treats. But once they associate you with treats, they will come over to investigate whether you have some, even when you don't have any. For example, even though the entire ground is covered with clover, they only seem to eat it when I pick it and offer it up as a treat. Then they go nuts for it - like it's only special because it's in a person's hand. :lau

In my 50+ years of raising chickens I have never been one to handle them a whole lot. It seems that a mutual respect develops that way which has led to only 3 aggressive roosters and generally well behaved hens in that time frame. Even with that lack of handling, I have had enumerable birds of both sexes and breeds be friendly and easy to manage. My current separated flocks of mixed large breed and Bantam hens have several sweet ladies that come right up to me with the 3 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Turkens, Isa Brown, Red Star, and all 16 Bantams being that way.

My daughter doesn’t bring our chickens treats but to call them to their coop each nightfall, however she did hold her chicken ALL the time when she was just a hatchling. They do act like dogs with her, even waiting for her to get home from school. They free rage but only when I’m home with them. I think if you handle them young and show them that they can rely on you they will actually enjoy your company. I think that you’re right too many snacks can make them expect you to have treats ALL the time.

Attachments

• 49202F77-40B3-4E2A-9B10-8711498B019D.jpeg
    49202F77-40B3-4E2A-9B10-8711498B019D.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 5
I have found 3 things that tame them quickly. 1.Treats 2.New places 3.Taking them outside. My older chicks were handled a TON, but these 3 things sealed the deal.

The first is easy, like everyone has said. Mine go crazy for scrambled eggs, so that’s my go to for taming.

The second is a trip to the garden or other safe place that can be caged in with you. Nothing brings on searching you out than a new, scary (yet fun) place. 2 of my Silkies were terrified of me until a trip to the garden lol. They were all over me.. next to me, following me, on me.. And they’ve liked me... or at least haven’t protested me since.

The third.. when they start getting cabin fever and you begin trips outside in a run with them.. carry them out by hand. More than one at once or they just cry. Pretty quickly they discover outside is awesome and they won’t protest you reaching in nearly as much, and many welcome it at that point.

Good luck!

D59D88BB-8A53-44A1-80DA-E72CC410132F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom