How do you handle leaving the ducks alone if you go away for a few days??

do you know anyone who has experience with ducks? personally when i have to go places i bring my ducks to a family/friends house that i trust and knows how to care for ducks

I usually just don't go anywhere. Since there can be subtle signs of illness, like slight personality changes, I worry the entire time I am gone. A sitter would never notice.

I have gone away for a night or two and I hire a neighbor to take care of my ducks, goats, cats and dog. I pay them very well and only use adults who can drive to the vet, if needed.

I'm lucky to have a lot of family members on both sides who grew up on farms, worked on ranches or have worked as farm hands. Unless it's an emergency I call one of them up and line up my schedule with theirs. They don't take money so we trade steak dinners, free RV parking/storage, allow them to use part of the property as a campground certain times of the year etc.

We leave ours sometimes if we go away for the weekend. We have enough feed in the feeder, and plenty of water in our waterers (with lids to keep it clean). Our coop has a run, so they aren’t just locked in the coop the whole time. As far as eggs, when we get back I just throw whatever is in there away, just cause I don’t know which ones were laid when, especially when it’s been hot. The not collecting eggs daily was only an issue when we had a broody duck, but I was ok with them hatching new ducklings if it happened, so no issue there. This last time we went away a little longer than normal so I bought a flock block from tractor supply and I think they loved it!

Last edited:
Hopefully I won’t get any grief for my unpopular answer but we leave ours sometimes if we go away for the weekend. We have enough feed in the feeder, and plenty of water in our waterers (with lids to keep it clean). Our coop has a run, so they aren’t just locked in the coop the whole time. As far as eggs, when we get back I just throw whatever is in there away, just cause I don’t know which ones were laid when, especially when it’s been hot. The not collecting eggs daily was only an issue when we had a broody duck, but I was ok with them hatching new ducklings if it happened, so no issue there. This last time we went away a little longer than normal so I bought a flock block from tractor supply and I think they loved it!
There are lots of different ways to do things, that is one of the wonderful things about BYC - we can learn about them!

Back
Top Bottom