How do you handle taking a family vacation??

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
These are great suggestions.
thumbsup.gif
I'll have to remember if I can't get someone!! I'm going to lookup that thread.

My coop/run is on a concrete slab and the wire is tough enough to keep out predators (in australia at least, nothing big here!)
My waterer lasts a week, normally I give my girls a 'daily ration' so the mice don't get fed too. But I have a big back up automatic feeder thing that will last them (and the mice) three days when I go away. I have little kids (10yearsish) in the street that love "the animal lady" aka me, so I ask them to check on my chickens every day, show them where the feed is etc. They just love that they get to pet the chickens every day!

I hire a pet sitter as I not only have chickens, I also have horses and pet birds who require more than just dropping off food and water. To break in a new pet sitter I will take overnighters to see if the newbie can handle Oscar the Amazon, Sassy Ann the Conure, Tuttle the turtle, and my ancient cockatiels and zany parakeets.

Having a pet sitter is not cheap so I don't go on vacations very often.

My dad will come over twice a day for my chickens. He cleans up the coop for me too! He knows I like it very clean.
hide.gif
He changes water, opens and closes the door at night. My parents live 10 minutes from my house. Although, I don't leave very often.

We just had our first vacay with chickens...I prepared heavily...trained the nieghbor boy(13) and had him check in 3 times a day...he also fed my outside dog...cats are easy,extra box and food and they were good...my only problem is my BIG house pup.He goes to his nanny( my best friend) but this trip he decided he does not like her husband(he is a jerk) and kept him cornered in thier bedroom for 4 days! We are now installing a fence and doggie door and just gonna let the neighbor boy feed him too...they are good buds! You will worry but get whoever is watching them to just text you regular updates and you will have fun!!!!!!

I have a small flock and the farm where I got them is down the street from my house and they will board them for me. I have a petsitter for my other animals but they are not too sure about taking care of the chicks.....I'm going to try to talk them into it.
hmm.png

Quote:
And make sure that they are bonded and insured. They need to carry their own insurance so that you are not liable for things that might happen. I have always used a petsitter and once I got chickens, she just took right over taking care of them also. She came over a couple days, got used to the birds and now is eagerly awaiting the next time I go away!

Neighbors and family! I've got a neighbor with chickens, or my inlaws like to care for them as well. I think you could train a neighbor kid to care for them for a few days. Have them come practice for a while before the vacation.

We share a 8 acre place with our landlord. The chickens are on "our" side and our landlords usually don't have a lot to do with them other than feeding them some scraps and enjoying free eggs (that was the deal we made to build the coop). They do, however, take care of our birds and rabbits when we leave town for more than overnight. It's been a great arrangement for us!

Back
Top Bottom