How do you heat your coops

Hmm I need some help with ventilating without causing a draft.

My coop is about 3 1/2 ft high inside.. It's a slanted roof. It was built so one side there is a window, and the other side there is an opening about 3 inch high all the way across that can be closed. The wind really can't get on either side.. Currently the roosts are right in front of both these openings. Obviously going to be a draft issue like that!

My thinking is to keep the window closed, and on the other side lower the roosting pole down another foot. So it will probably be about a foot off the ground of the coop but at least under the ventilation. Then the ventilation side I'll put the cover up most of the way so that that it is only a little bit open. The birds sitting on the window roost (this is their fav) will probably get cold..but my feeling is if they are cold then they wont use that roost right? I was thinking of maybe adding some ventilation to the rafters...

thoughts?

Light bulbs throw off 95% of their energy in heat not light. so you might as well use a chicken friendly heat source that does not turn them cannabalistic (over 60 watts I think) Either a red heat lamp or what I use is the lizard heater from Amazon for $17. A comparison of my Animal House store showed me a whopping $60 difference. They are 60 watts and are ceramic. Just cover it with metal cloth if they can reach it so they don't get singed.

You know how I heat them? Warm oatmeal in the morning. That's it.

No heat lamps (unless I have chicks 8 weeks and under), no insulation (don't see the point - they are fine).

Like a few people said, as long as they have unfrozen water and plenty of food to provide energy to keep warm, they will be fine. Small coops with not enough ventilation WILL create frost bite in large combed breeds. Even a small coop with plenty of ventilation will if you over crowd them.

We have days that get down to -40 with the wind chill. Never lost a single chicken to cold weather. They stay INSIDE when it is that cold, and are protected from the wind.

I had more scares with the heat affecting them than the cold weather.

My flock is very happy and healthy :)

yeh im in Scotland and it gets v v v veeerrryyy cold.!! we have a cover for the coop and nesting area . but the run is half covered.

I'm confused. How do you add ventilation but no drafts? Thanks.

Age old question.

Ventilation is an exhaust system. Air must exit the coop, taking with it the gases and humidity. Typically, since warmer air rises, the very best way to exhaust is vent up at the highest point, that is where the warmer, moist air will exit.

This is our barn. Perhaps you'll see how we accomplished this, but there are a ton of ways to "skin this cat".

Age old question.

Ventilation is an exhaust system.   Air must exit the coop, taking with it the gases and humidity.  Typically, since warmer air rises, the very best way to exhaust is vent up at the highest point, that is where the warmer, moist air will exit.

This is our barn.  Perhaps you'll see how we accomplished this, but there are a ton of ways to "skin this cat".  

When did you make moderator Fred? :woot

Congrats! I just noticed now! You totally deserve it :)

I'm confused. How do you add ventilation but no drafts? Thanks.
There is a difference between drafts and ventilation. Drafts would be down low, where the birds are...as Fred's demonstrated, venting should be done up high, above the level where the birds are. Think of it this way... you can stand in a cold wind in front of a picket fence, where the air can get between the slats...and you freeze your cheeks off, and if you had to sleep in that all the time, you'd like get sick. OR you can stand in front of a solid brick wall. The air can still circulate and go OVER the wall and over your head, but it's not blowing right up your skirt. Much more comfortable and healthy for all involved. At least this is my take on it.

In a dry. well ventilated coop, birds will be comfortable even in winter.

Back
Top Bottom