how do you hold a big chicken to put ointment in eyes

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
it seems so much easier to do with a duck. chickens have smaller heads and wiggly necks that shrink down so
HOW do you hold them
is there a trick to it like when giving pills you pull the waddles down and it’s easy but I have to do eye ointment I’m using Terramycin on a Q-tip just to get a little bit in there. Please don’t ask why - that was all worked out in another older thread . I just need help with HOW.

Have anyone who can help?

If I don’t have anyone, I hold mine like a football under one arm so my hand can kind of hold their head still, and with the other I do what I need to do…but with some things it’s nearly impossible to do alone (think pinless peepers!).

Have anyone who can help?

If I don’t have anyone, I hold mine like a football under one arm so my hand can kind of hold their head still, and with the other I do what I need to do…but with some things it’s nearly impossible to do alone (think pinless peepers!).
oh man yes peepers would be impossible to get on.
nobody can help . i do the football hold for my ducks and it’s easy to manage their head in one hand while doing drops or whatever with other hand. but chickens heads are so wiggly !! and she acts like i’m trying to kill her.

Kneel on the ground and put the chicken between your thighs, head facing forward, away from your body. Get it right, not too much thigh pressure and you'll have one hand free to hold her head and the other hand free to administer the medication.

Kneel on the ground and put the chicken between your thighs, head facing forward, away from your body. Get it right, not too much thigh pressure and you'll have one hand free to hold her head and the other hand free to administer the medication.
thanks , however, I’m not able to kneel. I’ve had two knee surgeries, and still have troubles. However, I was able to do a good football hold in an easy chair with a side table tonight I managed to get the medicine in her eyes, but she still acted like she was choking. when I hold her head to turn it from one side to the other, and to hold it still, I may be cutting off her air supply? I don’t know how to hold her head without holding her neck . I’m not really squeezing, but she acts like she can’t breathe. She just being dramatic.??

thanks , however, I’m not able to kneel. I’ve had two knee surgeries, and still have troubles. However, I was able to do a good football hold in an easy chair with a side table tonight I managed to get the medicine in her eyes, but she still acted like she was choking. when I hold her head to turn it from one side to the other, and to hold it still, I may be cutting off her air supply? I don’t know how to hold her head without holding her neck . I’m not really squeezing, but she acts like she can’t breathe. She just being dramatic.??
You may find if you do it at night in the dark with the aid of a headtorch she will be calmer. It should only take a couple of seconds to give eye drops (?) or apply a cream (?) so even if she is uncomfortable she won't die in that shorter time span.

You can snuggly wrap her in a towel, tie her legs together so she cant kick (I use clothesline or a shoe string.)
With her head sticking out at the other end of the towel, use one hand to grab her comb or head to hold her still and with the other hand administer the ointment in her eye, just a little dab will do it. Then flip her over and do her other eye if needed. Done.

003.JPG

You can snuggly wrap her in a towel, tie her legs together so she cant kick (I use clothesline or a shoe string.)
With her head sticking out at the other end of the towel, use one hand to grab her comb or head to hold her still and with the other hand administer the ointment in her eye, just a little dab will do it. Then flip her over and do her other eye if needed. Done.
oh my I think that would be kind of difficult for me without a helper (to tie up her feet ) but the towel would be good for me to try.. .I forgot about towel wrapping, Ive used it on ducks in the past, thats a great idea! TY

oh my I think that would be kind of difficult for me without a helper (to tie up her feet ) but the towel would be good for me to try.. .I forgot about towel wrapping, Ive used it on ducks in the past, thats a great idea! TY
If she is a kicker, you'll probably need to tie her feet together. However, if you can wrap a towel tightly around her legs, you might get lucky and get away with it, like I did in the photo.:)

If she is a kicker, you'll probably need to tie her feet together. However, if you can wrap a towel tightly around her legs, you might get lucky and get away with it :)
wait do you mean tie around the outside of the towel or inside it? Outside would be easier

Back
Top Bottom