How Do You House Your Seramas?

JennAndHens

Songster
May 4, 2021
I just got three sweet little Seramas, about a week old. I was going to keep them with my Silkies when they’re old enough to be integrated, but am reading now that people don’t recommend that. If I choose to keep them in the house (with outside time in their own run during the day), what would you recommend as housing? Do people use bird cages and add a nesting box? Any advice would be great! Thanks! 🤗

I just got three sweet little Seramas, about a week old. I was going to keep them with my Silkies when they’re old enough to be integrated, but am reading now that people don’t recommend that. If I choose to keep them in the house (with outside time in their own run during the day), what would you recommend as housing? Do people use bird cages and add a nesting box? Any advice would be great! Thanks! 🤗
@AngBantamLuv this is a question for you! 🥰

Though I do not know why someone would tell you they shouldn't be with silkies?:confused:

@AngBantamLuv this is a question for you! 🥰

Though I do not know why someone would tell you they shouldn't be with silkies?:confused:
Okay, was I misinformed about the Silkies?
i was thinking about putting a large parrot cage in my kitchen for them and if that’s something that would work for them, I might still consider it. Just want everyone to be happy, have the space that they need, etc.

Okay, was I misinformed about the Silkies?
i was thinking about putting a large parrot cage in my kitchen for them and if that’s something that would work for them, I might still consider it. Just want everyone to be happy, have the space that they need, etc.
If you have room for them outside, no reason they can not live with your silkies. Just takes time to integrate (many article and threads about this here on BYC).
Many people keep Seramas and other small chickens indoors successfully, if this is what you want to do. I think a parrot cage will be too small for even a Serama though. 😊

If you have room for them outside, no reason they can not live with your silkies. Just takes time to integrate (many article and threads about this here on BYC).
Many people keep Seramas and other small chickens indoors successfully, if this is what you want to do. I think a parrot cage will be too small for even a Serama though. 😊
Okay, thanks! I’d prefer that they have an outdoor run. Just curious as to what kind of setup people use for indoors. 😊

Okay, thanks! I’d prefer that they have an outdoor run. Just curious as to what kind of setup people use for indoors. 😊
I actually was looking at one of those giant parrot cages for seramas at the start.. ended up getting other bantams.. but i found the perfect house friendly coop/run, would be more than enough space for your 3 seramas, and so long as you had it covered from the elements, i think it would be fine outside too.. but i love this thing.

https://aivituvin.com/collections/rabbit/products/rabbit-hutch-air19-inner-space-9-6ft

It has removable trays, so easy deep clean when needed, and i added 6" strips of cut shower curtain, which i stapled along the interior as a skirt (sort of overlapping the tray and sides) to keep any scratching from getting kicked out. For litter... i tried everything, and now, even for my brooders, i swear by SweetPDZ GRANULES (there is also a powder, which i didn't realize, and destroyed my house)!

20200710_132737.jpg 20200710_132710~2.jpg

My bantams were not quite full grown yet in these pics, but probably about the size of your seramas when fully grown. The litter you see in the pic did not work out btw. You can use a kitty scoop to clean the sweet pdz granules really quick. And it is natural and safe if they should happen to eat it.

I actually was looking at one of those giant parrot cages for seramas at the start.. ended up getting other bantams.. but i found the perfect house friendly coop/run, would be more than enough space for your 3 seramas, and so long as you had it covered from the elements, i think it would be fine outside too.. but i love this thing.

https://aivituvin.com/collections/rabbit/products/rabbit-hutch-air19-inner-space-9-6ft

It has removable trays, so easy deep clean when needed, and i added 6" strips of cut shower curtain, which i stapled along the interior as a skirt (sort of overlapping the tray and sides) to keep any scratching from getting kicked out. For litter... i tried everything, and now, even for my brooders, i swear by SweetPDZ GRANULES (there is also a powder, which i didn't realize, and destroyed my house)!
Love the sweet PDZ granules! Use it 50-50 with sand under my roosts outdoors in the coop and also sprinkle liberally in the run to keep smells down.😊

View attachment 2844883View attachment 2844884

My bantams were not quite full grown yet in these pics, but probably about the size of your seramas when fully grown. The litter you see in the pic did not work out btw. You can use a kitty scoop to clean the sweet pdz granules really quick. And it is natural and safe if they should happen to eat it.
Oooohhh! I love this!!! Thank you so much for sharing!
Thank you and @LadiesAndJane for the info and the pdz granules tip! ♥️♥️♥️

Love the sweet PDZ granules! Use it 50-50 with sand under my roosts outdoors in the coop and also sprinkle liberally in the run to keep smells down.😊
The sand ended up not working in the house... too heavy for the coop trays, plus you have to wash the sand over and over to get the "dirt" off, otherwise it ends up in the house. The sand was too course also, ended up messing up areas of my floor that it landed on.

But! I will be doing sand once i am moved and have my outdoor and run.

Back
Top Bottom