How do you integrate 2nd roo into flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by briteday, Jan 2, 2010.

1. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I would like to add an RIR roo to my flock for breeding purposes. We already have an incredibly sweet EE roo. He's very docile and good with the hens. We are expecting to increase our hens from 20 to 30 with new chicks this Spring.

Our ranch store has told me that there is no way I'll ever be able to integrate another roo. They say that most people keep only one roo per run or separate the roos, each in their own run. I know many of you have more than one roo in a run.

Please advise.

2. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    Not sure it can be done unless they are seperate
    I have 2 but they grew up together but I think if I were to bring in another the Alpha would beat it down -
    maybe someone one here has done it .

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It rarely works to add a second rooster to an established flock. Not worth the bloodshed, really. And there will be blood, if they are normal roosters.

4. mema2003

mema2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    I read somewhere or someone told me that if you slip him in after they go too roost, they won't know the difference but I have no idea if that is right or not. You could try it and then remove him if it is a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by