How do you keep a chicken from pecking off a bandage on their foot?

I wanna know too! They peck everything. If no great answers appear, try duct tape, but a piece large enough she cannot eat if she gets it off. If wound doesn't have to be bandaged then try blukote?

I find that if the vetwrap is applied in thin strips and the ends are not loose, they won't pick at it. It should be snug but not tight. If you don't cut the vetwrap into strips it seems to bother the more and they will pick at it. Ductape also works but is a pain in the butt to remove!! Also, distractions are good. If you have it in a cage put a blanket over it to keep it calm, otherwise distractions like toys and treats and things to pick at.

I cut mine into 1"wide strips....and make sure that the last wrap is not tightened at all...it adheres fine but I have used duct tape up higher on the legs when some of mine insist on pecking wildly at the vetwrap.

Update on my lil gal and her injured toe. After almost 3 weeks of keeping her toe wrapped and changing it daily, I took it off and left it to see if she'd leave it alone. Her toenail had come off completely, which I sort of expected after being stepped on by a horse! She's no longer pecking at her toe, since leaving it covered that long allowed it to heal to the point of no scab to pick. She has a funny little hitch to her run which she'll probably always have, but she's healed well from this thankfully. Those 1" strips really made a difference! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom