How do you keep a chicken from pecking off a bandage on their foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sbhkma, Sep 4, 2014.

1. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

Bandage and vetrap on my hen's foot, but she keep pecking the vetrap off. I was thinking about duct tape but wanted to make sure her wound would breathe. What do others do?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I wanna know too! They peck everything. If no great answers appear, try duct tape, but a piece large enough she cannot eat if she gets it off. If wound doesn't have to be bandaged then try blukote?

3. sbhkma

Tried Blukote and Wound Kote. She still picks at her wound on her foot. *sigh*

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Duct tape. I've used it for wrapping after bumblefoot surgery. Dont wrap it tight though.

5. Woobsie

Woobsie Chillin' With My Peeps

I find that if the vetwrap is applied in thin strips and the ends are not loose, they won't pick at it. It should be snug but not tight. If you don't cut the vetwrap into strips it seems to bother the more and they will pick at it. Ductape also works but is a pain in the butt to remove!! Also, distractions are good. If you have it in a cage put a blanket over it to keep it calm, otherwise distractions like toys and treats and things to pick at.

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I make sure to rub the vet wrap so it sticks well. Some brands don't stick to themselves as well as others.

7. sbhkma

I used vetrap with duct tape for now. It's working fine. Tomorrow I'm going to try the thin strips of vetrap and see if that will work. How thin is "thin"? I have 4" vetrap and cut it into halves.

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I cut mine into 1"wide strips....and make sure that the last wrap is not tightened at all...it adheres fine but I have used duct tape up higher on the legs when some of mine insist on pecking wildly at the vetwrap.

9. sbhkma

Ok I cut it into 1" strips and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks!

10. sbhkma

Update on my lil gal and her injured toe. After almost 3 weeks of keeping her toe wrapped and changing it daily, I took it off and left it to see if she'd leave it alone. Her toenail had come off completely, which I sort of expected after being stepped on by a horse! She's no longer pecking at her toe, since leaving it covered that long allowed it to heal to the point of no scab to pick. She has a funny little hitch to her run which she'll probably always have, but she's healed well from this thankfully. Those 1" strips really made a difference! Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by