1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you keep chickens from flying over the fence?!?:-(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hens4thehudds, Nov 12, 2011.

1. hens4thehudds

hens4thehudds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    I have a 5 foot fence, I have clipped the wings, I have put tack strips on the edge of the fence...I am just a littel concerned because we live in a houseing track and I fear that the birds may fly into my neigbors yard. Any other ideas would be appreciated:) thanks!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  2. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    Has anyone ever had this issue?

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

my fence is 6 foot and still I have 2 that somehow get over it...If you can get taller posts and then, I used fishing line and just made rows like putting up barbed wire and that brought it up to 7 ft. good luck.

4. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Maybe clip the wings again? Clipping the wings has always worked well for my rogue escapees. Maybe you need to either clip the feathers a little shorter or clip a larger amount?

I gently stretch the wings out and clip the long feathers that are normally underneath. I had a couple pullets that still got out of their pen after their previous wing clipping, so I went back and clipped a few more feathers on each side and that did it.

5. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

My Aracauna likes to fly out of her run every morning. 8 ft tall fence! Not joking! I don't have the heart to clip wings, so instead she just gets to enjoy first dibs on worms!

6. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    Yes, its my EE's that I have the biggest problem with, but I will try the fishing line suddgestion, and also clip their wings down a little more. I was a little shy of clipping their wings until i did it, and it seemed like I was clipping their nails. It didnt hurt them at all, that I could tell.
    I definately wouldnt care about them jumping the fence, if my neigbors house wasnt 5 feet from the fence. Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it!

7. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh ok, then you have a good reason. Good Luck!

8. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    Put them in a stew pot.
    I have some fences that are 12 feet and they will still get over them if they really want to.

9. Momma on a Mission

Momma on a Mission Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Seymour, IN
    I have used carpenter fencing on top of my run. Zip tie them to the posts and fencing and vioula, no more flying the coop. Check it daily also.

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Chickens rarely ever fly over a tall obstacle. They fly to the top of it and then drop down on the other side. Knowing this, you merely have to make it impossible for them to land on that surface area by extending your wire fencing material 6-8 in. above the fence posts or run rows of wires there for the same purpose. Some people take a strip of wire fencing and mount it, slanting inward to the pen enclosure, much like a deer fence.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by