How do you keep chickens from flying over the fence?!?:-(

hens4thehudds

Songster
8 Years
Jul 7, 2011
San Marcos, California
I have a 5 foot fence, I have clipped the wings, I have put tack strips on the edge of the fence...I am just a littel concerned because we live in a houseing track and I fear that the birds may fly into my neigbors yard. Any other ideas would be appreciated:) thanks!

Last edited:
my fence is 6 foot and still I have 2 that somehow get over it...If you can get taller posts and then, I used fishing line and just made rows like putting up barbed wire and that brought it up to 7 ft. good luck.

Maybe clip the wings again? Clipping the wings has always worked well for my rogue escapees. Maybe you need to either clip the feathers a little shorter or clip a larger amount?

I gently stretch the wings out and clip the long feathers that are normally underneath. I had a couple pullets that still got out of their pen after their previous wing clipping, so I went back and clipped a few more feathers on each side and that did it.

Yes, its my EE's that I have the biggest problem with, but I will try the fishing line suddgestion, and also clip their wings down a little more. I was a little shy of clipping their wings until i did it, and it seemed like I was clipping their nails. It didnt hurt them at all, that I could tell.
I definately wouldnt care about them jumping the fence, if my neigbors house wasnt 5 feet from the fence. Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it!

Chickens rarely ever fly over a tall obstacle. They fly to the top of it and then drop down on the other side. Knowing this, you merely have to make it impossible for them to land on that surface area by extending your wire fencing material 6-8 in. above the fence posts or run rows of wires there for the same purpose. Some people take a strip of wire fencing and mount it, slanting inward to the pen enclosure, much like a deer fence.

Back
Top Bottom