How do you keep chickens out of your garden?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by montbwcc, Jun 27, 2010.

1. montbwcc

montbwcc New Egg

Apr 13, 2010
    My 10 wk. old fryers found the garden yesterday and are 'crazy' for my new cukes. Any ideas to keep them out? Area is too big to cover. I have an electric fence with two low wires, but they just slide right under. I've had layers for a long time and they seem to find plenty of bugs to eat elsewhere, but these 25 growing chicks have found a feast that must stop!!!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Some type of fencing, either to keep them out of the gaden or to keep them confined to a run. Maybe put something under your lower electric wire so they cannot slide under it, but since they know where the feast is, they may just fly over your fence.

Good luck!

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    This is where chicken wire is very handy! If they are meat birds, they won't fly over. It depends upon what you mean by "fryers".

4. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    Somehow I got away with using some leftover 2' plastic netting/fencing, something like the orange plastic cyclone fencing when my chickens were <4 months. Some of the success is due to the rest of the yard being as interesting as the garden area. Once they got older I had to resort to a full height fence. It is 5' tall in most places, 4' in some. With mine I think the 4' tall fence would work as they are a large breed, BA's, but it would not work for smaller chickens. It is a welded wire fence with 2" x 4" openings. Once a chicken knows there's something good in there, you will need a fence.

5. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    We put 6' high welded wire fencing around ours. It is not small either, 50' x 50'. It wasn't cheap to do but well worth it.

It also keeps the neighbors kids out too! [​IMG]

6. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    Fence is the only way to protect your garden. Pictures from the "old days" often show fence to protect gardens from roaming chickens.

ETA - I just saw that my compute is logged in with my DD's registration. I need to get her a computer.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair &amp; Feathers

There are only two answers to your question:

1. You can't, unless you

2. Fence it.

Chicken wire is inexpensive, as is that plastic poultry fencing. Get the plastic garden fence post stuff. This may look funky when you're done, but it will save your garden.

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    We finally fenced our entire garden area in. There wasn't anything else we could do to keep any of the animals, including the chickens out. Once we fenced it in we haven't had anymore issues. [​IMG]

9. Chicks&Chihuahuas

Chicks&Chihuahuas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    We had to net as much of ours as we could. We are still going to have to figure out a way to effectively fence off the beds with the herb gardens in them. It wasn't a problem until the strawberries tucked in there began to ripen. We have yet to beat those girls to a single berry.

10. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    My problem was my Sicilian Buttercup breeders. DH knew when he put the 4 foot fence around the garden, it wasn't high enough. So he pu up 8 foot fence poles. Sure enough they go over that 4 foot and we are adding another 4 feet to the height. That garden is just to irrisistable to them.

Depending on the breeds, chicken wire or that green plastic wire at Home Depoe that we used might work. Outside of your electric fence, I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by