How do you Keep ducks in the winter ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chicken crazed 1o1, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

2. Jhophyde

Jhophyde Hatching

Oct 13, 2012
    Pownal, Maine
    The cost of electricity does not bother me; the fire danger from heated waterers does

3. Miss Lydia

I like heated buckets have you seen them? very safe.

4. lmatvey

lmatvey Chirping

Sep 13, 2012
    The heated appliances are usually ok, it is the connections at the outlets and wires to the coop to watch. They do make exterior grade switches and such....

5. cskotek

cskotek Songster

I have a coop for my mandairns and pheasent. Today I got to put straw in there for them to keep out of the wind and keep warm. And i threw the 3 in there so they know its not bad and that its actually going to help lol. And a few hours later I went to see what they where doing. I looked threw the window and saw the pheasent looking at me but no mandies!!! I had to crawl in there and look. They where not in the nesting box, the open cage, or anywhere obvious. I got worried thinking my brother accdeintly let them out! I started shuffleing threw the straw, here they burried into the straw and where laying next to each other. I never seen a duck do this! It was like how my puppy will push itself under the blanket. So I just covered them back up and left them alone. Lol.

I do plan on buying a heated waterer for them, we use the ones for dogs in our dog pens. Never had an issue with them. So I hope this winter all the ducks survive!

I also noticed them doing the "snow swim". That was so unexpected and funny!!!

6. Jhophyde

Jhophyde Hatching

Oct 13, 2012
    Pownal, Maine
    Where can I find heated buckets?

7. Jhophyde

Jhophyde Hatching

Oct 13, 2012
    Pownal, Maine
    Years ago, I had some Muscoveys that we bought from the real EB White. The female, Rita, would always disappear in October then emerge on the last day of October - always cold and blustery - followed by a dabble of babies. They stayed in our unheated barn during the winter with the chickens. The adults never had a problem with their feet, but one year I remember many of the babies got frostbite and lost their feet. We called that duck Stubby, and he was fine - lived for many years.

8. Miss Lydia

TSC carries them and maybe your feed store, our does. they run on a thermostat so it isn't running if temps aren't under freezing.

9. Miss Lydia

They walked around on their stumps. poor things.

10. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Songster

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I saw one on CraigsList but did t move quick enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: