How do YOU keep goats out of chicken feed?

I have goats & chickens. I have heard conflicting reports on goats eating chicken food. I have heard only medicated chicken food will harm goats and I have heard any chicken food. Needless to say the chickens feeder is in their coop and if goat is loose while I am in coop I pull up feeder and hang it from ceiling.

The issue with goats eating chicken food is not that the food is poisonous... it's that they eat it quickly and often too much and can very easily bloat - that will kill your goat.

I keep hearing from vets and other goat people that there have been an unbelievable number of goats getting bloat this year, around the country, so keep an eye on the little dudes. I'm wondering what's causing it to be so high?

I feel your frustration. We have our 2 Nigis sharing the chicken run but with separate housing than the chickens. I keep the chicken feed inside the coop. The goats are so small that it was a real challenge for us to keep them out. It became a challenge for my son and husband to beat the goats. It was goats 3 - guys 0 until they came up with this ugly but very effective solution:

Here's from the outside -

IMG_3631.jpg

Here's the view from the inside (one side 2x4 board on the right was taken off but then put back on) -

IMG_3593.jpg

There is normally a ramp they walk up to get into the coop (it was off for the picture). On the inside the chickens just jump up and duck down to get out. This solution has worked with zero goat admittance since it was put together last summer. The goats can't bend their bodies to make the 'turn' up and into the coop.

Good luck... goats are so much fun and such a challenge at times!
lol.png

This is an awesome idea and it worked for me. Thanks

I placed some very high roosts in the corner of a covered 6' chain link fence area and attached feeders high on the fence. The chickens can eat all they want and the goats can't get to their food. I give them their scratch and other treats on the ground when the goats aren't around.

We took an old metal futon frame, chopped it to length and made a dutch door of sorts between the chicken and goat areas of the house/coop. One side is hinged so they swing like gates, the other side is latched with a chain and clip. There's one futon "gate" on the bottom and one on top, so I can open the top and walk over the bottom gate--nice to have so the goats aren't barging in behind me to steal the peep food. The space between the futon bars is narrow enough that the goats (pygmy Xs, so they're pretty small) can't get thru, but the chickens can. Works like a charm and I can still easily move between the goat/chicken side for feeding and cleaning.

Last edited:
I have ths same problem,but it's with the goats getting at the ducks feed.they are kept in separate houses for nighttime,but in the same outside enclosure. so It was hard to find a solution,so I put the ducks feed in a doghouse,and have a fence across the opening/door,,then the goats can't eat the feed,and the ducks easily pass their heads through to get at it. genius!

Did you have a door on it too. We have been having a time with our goat. She pushes the sliding door up and goes right in but can't get out. I think we are going to give this a go.
Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom