How do YOU keep goats out of chicken feed?

I feel your frustration.   We have our 2 Nigis sharing the chicken run but with separate housing than the chickens.   I keep the chicken feed inside the coop.   The goats are so small that it was a real challenge for us to keep them out.  It became a challenge for my son and husband to beat the goats.  It was goats 3 - guys 0 until they came up with this ugly but very effective solution:

Here's from the outside -

IMG_3631.jpg

Here's the view from the inside (one side 2x4 board on the right was taken off but then put back on) -

IMG_3593.jpg

There is normally a ramp they walk up to get into the coop (it was off for the picture). On the inside the chickens just jump up and duck down to get out.  This solution has worked with zero goat admittance since it was put together last summer.  The goats can't bend their bodies to make the 'turn' up and into the coop.

Good luck... goats are so much fun and such a challenge at times!/img/smilies/lol.png

IT WORKED! SUPER EXCITED!

Last edited:
My goats have been eating some chicken feed for months now and they are still alive. I guess nobody told them not to eat it or they die. My chickens also eat goat feed and rabbit feed and they are still alive also. Things must just be different here.

This was our fourth attempted and finally got it just right size. 8inx 8in door opening. 10inx 10in door. We used our rabbit cage wire 1inch squares and used rabbit cage clips. Made a home made spring latch like we use on our rabbit cages. Then we used a very strong wire right down the middle off our cattle panels so the shoulders of our nubian kids can't fit through but our chickens have a in and out. Our chickes love it so they can still free range and no more coming outside to get the goats out of chicken house and eatting quarters.

Back
Top Bottom