1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you keep hatched chicks from climbing all over unhatched eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dospuercos, Jun 21, 2011.

1. dospuercos

dospuercos Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    Lehi, UT
    So I have only done one hatch in my LG incubator which wasn't very successful. (12 out of 31 eggs hatched) I am trying out another hatch & bought a hygrometer because I believe my humidity was WAY too high the 1st time. But it also seemed like when each baby chick hatched they then rolled all the other unhatched eggs all over the place. I really don't want to open the incubator every time a chick hatches. But I also don't know if the unhatched eggs are okay getting rolled all over. Has anyone else had this problem & if so, how did you fix it? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

2. silkie_sue

silkie_sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Quote:Yeah the the little socker players....[​IMG]
    And yes the other eggs will be fine. I do arge hatches and even separate when hatching because of the amount. But it's always crazy in the hatcher....[​IMG]

Suz

3. Cold Canadian

Cold Canadian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    I hear you ! I have had chicks that drowned in the egg from being kicked around .I now remove the eggs from my turner ( If you don't have a turner this will still work ) and put them into egg cartons ! Simply take the top part off and put the eggs into the carton pointy end down and once the chick gets out it leaves the other eggs right where you left them [​IMG]

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I also had this problem with my first chick that hatched. We named s/him Trouble because s/he buzzed from one end of the 'bator to the next. Folks here said that the other eggs should be okay, and that it may stimulate the others to hatch. It was also suggested to next time place the eggs in paper cups or a carton, as Cold Canadian said.

5. Chikndinner

Chikndinner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    In my experience I believe that it is ok and does stimulate the other eggs to hatch. Chickens being very social birds and all.

6. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    I went with the egg carton idea also.Go to a local resturant as they get there bulk eggs boxed with layers on egg cartons in between,each holds around thirty or so eggs.

7. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I leave my eggs laying on there side the whole time for the one time I did the egg carton I had a very bad hatch rate. I just remove the chick after a bit and I have no trouble with the incubator at all. I don't do it after each and every chick unless they are very slow at coming, but I do think that them being all over the other eggs is a way to get them to come out too.

8. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Mine do it all the time. It does not hurt them. Don't worry.

9. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I'm sure this happens to some extent under a broody. I doubt it causes much if any damage to the slow hatchers.

-S

10. dospuercos

dospuercos Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    Lehi, UT
    Thank you for all the GREAT comments & suggestions!
    Maybe I'll do a little experiment & do half in the egg carton & half laying on their sides. I'll let you know what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by