How do you keep hens from sleeping in nesting boxes.....

Make sure the roosts are higher than the nest boxes.

If they already are, put some kind of cover over the nests as the sun starts to go down. Make sure to pull the covers off at first light. They will get the message.

Wayne

When mine were young I would go out after dark and put them on there perch. They would usually stay there as they don't move around much in the dark.

Mine did that to at first, I hung a towel across the nest boxes for awhile, they were not laying at the time. After a month or so I removed the towel and never had any problems again.

Some nest boxes have a bar in front that can be pulled up in front of the opening in the evening. My neighbor puts it up around 4 pm every day when he collects the eggs and puts it down early in the morning when he opens their door. He's got a hundred hens in there!

Assuming that your nest boxes are lower than your roosts, try going out at night and moving them to the roosts.
You have to be consistent about going out every night and it can take a week or more before they get the message.

I do not like the idea of blocking the nests off.. that would mean getting up before 9 am to open the nests..
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom