1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you keep track?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Buck Creek Chickens, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Of mixed hatch dates, in the same 'bator. I use post it notes on the door of my GQF, set date, candle date, day 18, and hatch date. If I move the tray the note follows on the door, and if there is 2 different hatches in one tray its the info is on 2 notes, plus i put a no. in each set so if the tray get turned around I know which is which.

2. twotmama

twotmama Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    I am learning to, but I was told to put the eggs all in at the same time; because if you don't its alot more difficult to keep track. And also not to mix chickens, ducks, goose, and turkeys eggs, etc., because they have different hatch times. I have put to many in mine and have totally lost track, but now I know to put less eggs, and to put them in all at the same time; and not to mix eggs. Good luck and I hope I helped a little.

3. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i write the hatch date on each egg and then write it down in a book also, i do stagerd hatches in 8 different bators, and have 2 bators that i use for hatchers . that way i have eggs hatching all they time

4. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    I write the date on mine too. I put the date on that they were gathered then in a different color I will write the date they went into the bator, I also leave at least 4 days inbetween setting dates. I only have 3 bators.

Edited to say Yes MUST have a journal to keep everything straight!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I put the "set" date on the egg, plus I mark a calender.

6. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    I put "Day 18", whatever day that may be, on the egg, and on a large calendar that is literally 2 feet away from my incubators. I also label the entry on the calendar with which incubator it is in.

7. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I just forget and wonder why my eggs aren't hatching and then get all surprised when I have chicks running around the bator. It isn't a system but it works for me

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    If i have more than one hatch date, i write the date they go into the incubator right on the egg in pencil. But i also have a back-up calendar where i list how many of what type of egg went in and on what date. Oh, and along with the date on the egg, i put an abbreviation on to let me know what type of eggs, like "S" for Silkie, "DU" for d'Uccle.

i have many multiple hatches going on now and it is a huge pain. i wish i could have timed my eggs better. [​IMG]

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I write nothing on the first batch. I write B2 on the second batch and B3 on the third batch, and so on. Then I write down B2 was put in on m/d/y and hatches on m/d/y

10. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    tray 1 is the bottom one tary 2 the next tray 3 the top one my Lgs are 1 and 2 my hoverbator is 3 i printed out a calender on the putter today is tray 2 to hatch tray (18day) tray 2 is also marked on calender it yellow as is day 18 19 20 21 23 and 23 Blue for tray 3 and orange tray 1 that way i dont over lap or fight for the hatching tray. i have some where around 700 chicks to hatch so far this year 66 are out and gone to make it work i have to have 20 to 25 eggs a day to set

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by