How do you keep your chickens laying throughout the winter?

Eva2020

Songster
Sep 6, 2020
Berkshire County, MA
I have 4 hens. My brahma never layed everyday, but she has pretty much stopped laying. She doesn't look like she is egg bound or anything, and is happy as usual, so I assume she's just stopped laying for the winter.

My 3 other girls are still laying, and I would like to keep it that way haha. I've heard lights in coops can be dangerous and cause coop fires, what do you all do to keep your girls laying all throughout the winter?

I see you are a fairly new member. :welcome :frow I have night lights in my coops I leave on 24/7/365. The bulbs I use are 1 watt LED's so not bright. There are times when they slow down like when they are molting. Maybe add a few more pullets to your flock. Good luck and have fun...

Heatlamps are dangerous. Regular non heat lights aren't as much. But by doing that, you're causing them no breaks besides to mold which really isn't a break. That's like working a job 7 days a week with no vacation or days off to unwind

I have 4 hens. My brahma never layed everyday, but she has pretty much stopped laying. She doesn't look like she is egg bound or anything, and is happy as usual, so I assume she's just stopped laying for the winter.

My 3 other girls are still laying, and I would like to keep it that way haha. I've heard lights in coops can be dangerous and cause coop fires, what do you all do to keep your girls laying all throughout the winter?
How old are your birds, in weeks or months?

Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting.

I use supplemental lighting but not until mid to late december,
after they finish their molts.

Let them take a break. I do not believe in forcing chickens to lay more eggs - If their bodies naturally slow down it’s because they need that rest and recovery time. Laying eggs takes a huge toll on their bodies. If you need eggs all year long, try some production breeds like golden comets or black sex links. They very rarely take breaks from laying, mine are all laying religiously right now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom