How do you keep your chickens warm?

Haven't turned on a heat lamp yet this year. I think I might not at all.
I just read a book from 1925 or so called "Fresh Air Poultry Houses".
Thought it was pretty interesting.

Good book, full of good information, even today. Below is the coop that the author of the book designed.
Jack

I live in alaska and is so cold here in the mountains. I have insulated and put a heat lamp in there. But I am just worried that the heat lamp will make a fire.
hit.gif

Well I think Ive got my answer on heating...here I went out and got an extra light but looks like I wont need it. coop is dry and actually wasnt really that cold in the 13F temp today. so I guess Ill turn off the heat lamp and if I get a brooder someday...that is where it will go!

Well just reading the title of the thread, I'd have to say that what I do is go out there and snuggle them all.

OK kidding. They have on feather coats and I don't. So long as they don't have a draft they're warmer than I am! They need no wind on them when on the roost, but yet ventilation so there isn't a buildup of moisture in there. Unless you live where it gets below zero farenheit often, that's all you need.

I have lined the inside roof, top of the nesting box , doors and lower run with Insulated mylar material using The Emergency Blanket from Quake Kare. Have several to replace as necessary. Not needed yet.. Just stapled it in and will take it off when the weather gets warmer. Reflects 90% of body heat back in. Filled the coop with pine shavings which Still keep the ventilation hole open. Girls are laying 4-5 eggs/day. Have 5 girls. One is in a slight molt. I hand clean poo from daily and add more shavings. Canvas sides and roof with clear plastic over run door for lights. Have straw bales on all sides except door. Use solar water dishes. Just getting a small skin of ice at night. Poke a hole, empty some water and fill with warm water. I have 4 so I rotate each 2 to clean them out once a day. Sue

I couldnt believe when i first got my chicks that they could keep themselves warm. Its been 3 winters and with the advise here ive never gave them any extra heat. It just makes sense that if the electric went out and they were dependent on it then were screwed. They do fine without. Mine hate to walk in the snow though, we have to shovel their run then they come out, otherwise they stay in.

Just wanted to repeat Suleo's suggestion of thick pine shavings. It needn't be "deep litter". I have seven birds at the moment and clean their droppings out from under the roosts every morning (takes thirty seconds at most), so I'm definately not deep littering. But by having 5 or 6 inches of pine shavings piled up on all of the flat surfaces it keeps the coop a good 5 to 10 degrees warmer in the winter. I figure I can keep a block of pine shavings outside the coop and use it sparingly or I can put most of it in the coop and let it help insulate - either way they don't go through it any faster. I'm happier knowing their coop is a little warmer in the winter, but still safe.
thumbsup.gif

I also just ordered something called Snugglesafe from amazon for extreme temperatures here in the Hudson Valley NY. You heat them in the microwave and last about 12 hours. Ordered 4 covers for 2 so I can wash them regularly. I saw them in an article on how to keep cats (ferrile) safe and warm outside along with using the Emergency Mylar Blankets as shelter liners. I won't use lights other than my solar shed light attached to the run (coop is inside run) to take care of them when it gets dark so early. I am so afraid of fires. Luckily I don't need to shovel the run other than to keep it clean because I have a covered predator top and winter canvas sides with straw bales. My girl's have a patio stone floor that was part of my deceased Siberian huskies kennel area. I cover it with pine shavings. Girls seem to poo in certain areas so I clean them regularly. Inside the coop pine shaving is essential to their warmth from underneath. Mine is about 5-6 inches deep. I do clean out the morning poo after I open the coop doors and let them out into the covered run. My girls don't like snow! One just decided not to move in the middle of the yard. The other 4 flew to the lawn chair and grill top. All had to be carried back to the coop. Of course they are spoiled and the only time they go into the coop by themselves is to lay eggs. I have to lift them off the coop roof each night by name and put them to bed! They usually go back to the run when they hear or see food!

There is some new forum advice. Check it out. I'm using Mylar Emergency Blankets(reflect 90% back)
frow.gif
and pine shavings with a run with a canvas top and sides(coop inside). I have a predator top on my run with a canvas cover. Take the sides off during the summer. Straw bales on the sides. Also using solar water heaters(keeps water cool in the summer). I have 4 so I rotate them out 2 at a time. Only get a skin of ice with below freezing temps. Poke a hole, dump some water and fill with warm water once a day. Clean the other 2 after rinsing thoroughly in the dishwasher.

Just ordered 2 Snugglesafe discs from Amazon for really extreme night time temps. WILL NOT use lights or heaters in coop other than my solar light for cleaning purpases because it gets dark so early. Read an article (allie cats I think) about shelters for outdorr/ferrile cats using mylar emergency blankets and Snuggle Safe Discs which you heat in the microwave and last for 12 hours. Ordered 4 covers for 2 snuggle Safe Discs so I can launder reguarly. They wear out I'll make my own.

Back
Top Bottom