How do you keep your feed costs down!!?

Definitely would be interested in the specifics please

Troy, this thread was started in 2013, and left there. Most of the posters haven't been seen in years, including Delisha, who posted most of the info on Fermenting Feed. I question her numbers re: savings, but it might make sense with a large enough flock.

Probably best if you start a brand new post, so people active on the forums today / this year can jump in with input. It would also help IMMENSELY to know where you are, what kind of birds you are raising, for what purpose, etc. All of those can be factors in how to most cheaply feed your animals.

I am no good at keeping feed costs down. But I should probably start looking at ways to improve that. I do feed my birds left over bits from the kitchen in addition to their feed. Maybe I should crunch some numbers… on feed, feed ingredients, extras I feed them, that sort of thing.

The biggest thing I need to do is change some things that cause feed to be wasted here. That would help.

I am thinking of building a better feeding system once the new cages are up.

Chicken eat duck weed, it has 45% protein and it grows really fast. Its something to look into. You could dig a shallow pond and use 6 ml plastic sheet or more expensive pond liner to hold the water. I raise mosquito fish in stagnant water with duck weed to feed my baby hybrid stripe bass. The mosquito fish don't need mechanical aeration, and the duck weed consumes the ammonia and nitrate creating a sustainable environment.

Duck weed doesn't like moving water, so this guy's idea about solar aeration is not necessary.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom