1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you keep your pop door from freezing?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dooner, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Dooner

Dooner Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    My chicken door is on the outside of the coop and it slides up and down in a wooden track. I have a rope with pulley to raise and lower from the other side of the coop (the chicken door side is hard to get to in the best of weather.). I live in the mild weather state of Wisconsin and I will bet you the door is going to freeze up on me in the winter. Any suggestions?[​IMG]

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

good question!

3. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    If you have elecricity in the coop you could point a heat lamp at it other wiise I would say you would have to thaw it with hot water.

4. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    you could nail a tarp over the door...it wont be pretty but it might keep the snow and ice out....allowing the door to slide

5. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

hmm hadn't thought of that. Is it less likely to freeze up if it's inside? Is there a way you can switch it to the inside?

6. Dooner

Dooner Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Quote:I think that might be the best solution. I will have to add this to my list of things I would have done differently.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Both of my pop door slide up on the inside. But you have a really nice overhang on that side; Why do you think it'll freeze up?? Does the wind/snow blow against that side??? If not, I'd think you'll be okay.

8. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    Great question. Mine is on the inside and have been complaining that it would be easier if it were on the outside. I hadn't thought about the freezing weather. I would think that inside the coop wouldn't be freezing so easier to open.[​IMG]

9. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    paint it black, so it thaws out sooner...

is yours on the east or west? that would matter??

i grew up in S. IL, which has tons more ice than WI-- and I think I only remember one time having a pop door freeze shut.. mine was on west side, so shaded in the a.m. heated in the p.m.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  10. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I built the tracks on the inside of the coop. I open it from inside also, but I've seen some people who have a small hole above the door and a string or chain that they pull from the outside to open it. You could do that with your also by drilling a little hole and pulling the string through it.

Lisa

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by