1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you keep your Rabbits water from freezing in the winter???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mmajw, Sep 19, 2008.

1. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    How do you keep your Rabbits water from freezing in the winter???

I have heaters for the chicken waterers but not sure what to do about the Rabbit.......

2. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i use heated dog bowls for them.

3. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Alot of places sell those heated water bowls, I have one for my chickens, under 20 bucks..probably even walmart, mie came from Petsmart...from everything I read on this forum last winter..that was the best option. good luck [​IMG]

4. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Should say though that you will sure need to get one with themetal coiling around the cord since rabbits chew so much!!

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I actually keep hard plastic water bowls in the hutches and change the water two to three times a day. I didn't really have too much of a problem with the water freezing quickly last year and they will break through a very thin layer of ice to get at the water.

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I saw some rabbit water bottles at my feed store the last time I went that were heated, they hang like all the other water bottles but have an electrical cord on them to plug in.

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I do the same.

8. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:That was what I was wondering if they have. He is use to the bottle waterer not a bowl.

9. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:That was what I was wondering if they have. He is use to the bottle waterer not a bowl.

Just a note on the water bottles, if your rabbit suddenly isn't drinking as much as normal or what the weather calls for (i.e. if it's hot out=more water) then give them a dish. At our local fair this year there were some rabbits that weren't drinking. The owners were told to give them a dish and they drank. I guess it's comon for this to happen.

10. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Thanks Farmer Kitty. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by